1st stalled fermentation.

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Yep! I brewed Saturday. No airlock Sunday arvo had a peak under lid as most fermentations I do are underway 12hrs post pitch especially with ale yeast fermenting at 19c with .5 difference. I saw what looked like the beginnings of a krausen forming crimped the lid back went back to me beer....
This arvo checked starter I'm spinning with that wort with that yeast 007 it's got a healthy krausen go out to chamber look in airlock stationary peep under lid nothing but clear wort! Thought huh popped it up on ledge took sample 1.048 that's my OGo_O! Took a good wiff of headspace and I smell a phenolic burn plastic smell:eek: taste flask bighty on through but clean malt at first. What the bloody he'll is going on? This wasn't meant to happen...:oops:

Ok so my starter I spun is past high krausen so I'm gunna pitch most of this in and get fermentation underway.

But this is my reasoning on what I think ive done wrong. Awhiles back in another thread on here on cleaning and sanitation my man @HighVoltageMan! Had a great cleaning solution 1 cup bleach to 1 cup vinigar in fermentor added separately to avoid chlorine gas well when I was out pissing around cleaning.my fermentor the other day I poured in 1 cup regular bleach then when fermentor near full I dopily( half full of swill) Thought I'd poured in a cup of vinegar but nope another cup of bleach! I though huh I'll just add equal 2 cups vinegar and let soak "I'll just have to rinse the crap out of it before brew day.

Now I think I've not rinsed well enough and there is chlorine somehow leached out of plastic bucket into my fresh wort and done what chlorine does best killed my little beer makers!:mad:

What say your brewers have I royaly screwed this brew up?
Or am I overthinking it and my fermentation has just not taken?

I rinsed that fermentor 2 times with fresh hose water than once with 10lt pre boiled water shook drained through tap then left open in sun for brew day then hot rinsed again with boiled water ran through tap then starsaned it ran through tap then filled with wort off kettle. How is that not rinsing enough?
Cheers

Can't help with plastic buckets as I've jettisoned those for good in favor of stainless. The burnt plastic smell sounds like one I get every now and then from one of my CO2 hoses. I've let some of the hoses soak in Star-San and I think that's reacted with some types of plastic. My guess is that you've got some chlorine interaction with the plastic and then making it more reactive to the Star-San/ If you poured straight bleach into the fermenter without water, it would have interacted very strongly.

Yep! I brewed Saturday. No airlock Sunday arvo had a peak under lid as most fermentations I do are underway 12hrs post pitch especially with ale yeast fermenting at 19c with .5 difference. I saw what looked like the beginnings of a krausen forming crimped the lid back went back to me beer....
This arvo checked starter I'm spinning with that wort with that yeast 007 it's got a healthy krausen go out to chamber look in airlock stationary peep under lid nothing but clear wort! Thought huh popped it up on ledge took sample 1.048 that's my OGo_O! Took a good wiff of headspace and I smell a phenolic burn plastic smell:eek: taste flask bighty on through but clean malt at first. What the bloody he'll is going on? This wasn't meant to happen...:oops:

Ok so my starter I spun is past high krausen so I'm gunna pitch most of this in and get fermentation underway.

But this is my reasoning on what I think ive done wrong. Awhiles back in another thread on here on cleaning and sanitation my man @HighVoltageMan! Had a great cleaning solution 1 cup bleach to 1 cup vinigar in fermentor added separately to avoid chlorine gas well when I was out pissing around cleaning.my fermentor the other day I poured in 1 cup regular bleach then when fermentor near full I dopily( half full of swill) Thought I'd poured in a cup of vinegar but nope another cup of bleach! I though huh I'll just add equal 2 cups vinegar and let soak "I'll just have to rinse the crap out of it before brew day.

Now I think I've not rinsed well enough and there is chlorine somehow leached out of plastic bucket into my fresh wort and done what chlorine does best killed my little beer makers!:mad:

What say your brewers have I royaly screwed this brew up?
Or am I overthinking it and my fermentation has just not taken?

I rinsed that fermentor 2 times with fresh hose water than once with 10lt pre boiled water shook drained through tap then left open in sun for brew day then hot rinsed again with boiled water ran through tap then starsaned it ran through tap then filled with wort off kettle. How is that not rinsing enough?
Cheers
I don't think it's bleach leaching into the plastic (then back out). Of course, if you're using a cup of undiluted bleach, might be a problem. Chlorine is highly toxic to yeast. But let it go, let it ferment then with this in mind, take a sample of the finished beer. Might be surprised....

2 cup chlorine it was:eek:. I pitched 1lt of active 007 last night if that doesn't get things going something weird is going on.

Just checked in on fermentation it's going nuts! And smells right on track was this a RDWHAHB

Last edited:
I had a DOA M-44 yeast pitch in a batch and repitched just so I wouldn't lose it. At 2 days out it was as if I'd completely left yeast out of it (I I hadn't). Not sure whether it would have done anything on it's own but it eventually knocked down with a pitch of US-05. There seems to be some funkiness in the samples I've tasted so it may have picked up some uninvited guests while it was inactive.

Back