Cloning Yuengling

Nosybear

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
A while back I was given a challenge and a half six-pack of beer. The challenge, clone the beer, Yuengling Classic Lager. I tasted, I researched and here's what I came up with:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/762005/jngling

Last night I sat down with the last remaining can and did a side by side comparison to the finished beer. I was blown away. Mine was maybe 1 SRM lighter than the original, was less minerally than Yuengling and had a bit less hop aroma. So I adjusted the recipe to this:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/743819/jngling

I added a bit more CaraMunich II and corn, added a bit more finishing hops and annotated to add some bicarbonate to the kettle (and balance it out with acid later). The clone is a departure from the clones I could find but side-by-side, it was very close. Adventures in cloning, ladies and gentlemen. Feel free to give this a try! And comments welcome.

I'm curious what the flaked corn brings to the table? Mr. Google says "dry and crisp?.

I'm curious what the flaked corn brings to the table? Mr. Google says "dry and crisp?.
Helps make it dry and crisp. What it actually does is thin the body and helps keep the average American beer drinker from being confronted with too much flavor, increasing the "poundability". The corn does help dry it out. The "crisp" part, at least to me, came from the minerals in the water. It had almost a selzer water flavor, I think a little carbonate in the kettle will "crisp" it right out.

I don't know. Even when I lived in Europe, I never tried to kilo a beer.

How many meanings does the word have? Silly English...

• I'll take a pound of those
  • That will be three pounds plz
  • I'm going to pound you into a pulp
  • OK you're going to the pound
  • My heart is pounding

How many meanings does the word have? Silly English...

• I'll take a pound of those
  • That will be three pounds plz
  • I'm going to pound you into a pulp
  • OK you're going to the pound
  • My heart is pounding
Add:
  • Let's go pound a few beers
  • I picked up my cat from the pound

Could you go 2.2kilos some beers down under ?:eek:

NO ONE EVER KILOED A BEER!!!! :)

When my bro talks drinking his term is "Smack" I'll put it in context. We Smacked to slabs of beer last night good effort!
Yeah Kilo just don't sound right :)
Smacked, hammered, pounded, slammed,all these work words make me thirsty. Think after work I'll tip a few.:D

A while back I was given a challenge and a half six-pack of beer. The challenge, clone the beer, Yuengling Classic Lager. I tasted, I researched and here's what I came up with:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/762005/jngling

Last night I sat down with the last remaining can and did a side by side comparison to the finished beer. I was blown away. Mine was maybe 1 SRM lighter than the original, was less minerally than Yuengling and had a bit less hop aroma. So I adjusted the recipe to this:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/743819/jngling

I added a bit more CaraMunich II and corn, added a bit more finishing hops and annotated to add some bicarbonate to the kettle (and balance it out with acid later). The clone is a departure from the clones I could find but side-by-side, it was very close. Adventures in cloning, ladies and gentlemen. Feel free to give this a try! And comments welcome.

We brewed our Amber lager, which was loosely based on yuengling last weekend... After looking at your recipe, and using grits, if we make this beer again we will certainly used steam flaked corn. WAY easier than cereal mashing and messing with trying to grind our hard ass field corn.

We brewed our Amber lager, which was loosely based on yuengling last weekend... After looking at your recipe, and using grits, if we make this beer again we will certainly used steam flaked corn. WAY easier than cereal mashing and messing with trying to grind our hard ass field corn.
The old ways aren't always better.... ;)

Back