Stratification

Graff

Premium Member
Reaction score
I am just starting my home brew addiction. I made a blonde ale, and when I racked it into the primary fermenter there was noticeable stratification. I attempted to to take an OG reading, but the top was very light and reading was low. I let it set for a few hours then pitched the yeast. It mixed overnight. I used Irish moss to clarify and I am thinking that might have played a roll. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Do you wait until the wort mixes then take the OG?

Particulate matter will drop out slowly so that the top half is often clearer. It won't impact gravity. Sugars are not suspension but are in solution...they don't fall out and go to the bottom. Ignore it...
Your OG is low for other reasons. Either add some (sterilized) malt extract or sugar or ferment as is.

I was going to say that ^^^^ Sugars don't stratify.

Reactions: J A
Particulate matter will drop out slowly so that the top half is often clearer. It won't impact gravity. Sugars are not suspension but are in solution...they don't fall out and go to the bottom. Ignore it...
Your OG is low for other reasons. Either add some (sterilized) malt extract or sugar or ferment as is.
Thank you!

Reactions: J A

Back