Bottling Day is Coming - Help :-)

Brewer #224226

Trial Member
Reaction score
Ok - so I am planning on bottling on Sunday if everything goes well as far as my gravity checks. Last night I bought an auto-siphon. I wanted to test out the bottle equipment which leads me to my questions!

According to the brew kit that I bought, here is what they say for bottling:
Place the bucket on a chair below the fermenter and fix the transfer tubing to the spigot on the fermenter, directing the open end into the bottling bucket. Open the fermenter’s spigot and drain the beer into the bottling bucket, diverting the first portion of the beer into your hydrometer jar, which you can set aside until you are done bottling.

-So question #1 - based on this, they are saying just open the spigot to transfer the beer to the bottling bucket - so do I even need to use the auto-siphon. If I use the spigot, doesn't some of the "gunk" from fermenting then wash into the beer?

-Question #2 - I must be stupid (hold back from agreeing too quickly!) - but the next part of the instructions says:
Attach the tubing to the spigot on the bottling bucket and insert the bottle filling wand into the open end.

The tubing fits nice and snug on the spigot - but no matter how I try - I cannot get it to attach to the bottle wand. The opening seems too big compared to the tubing. I don't know - I gotta believe that the starter kit has the right size tubing - so what the heck?

After some serious thought - I have come up with the name of my beer. I think I will call my first batch WTF - when people drink it, they will invariably say "What the F....!?!"

The tubing fits nice and snug on the spigot - but no matter how I try - I cannot get it to attach to the bottle wand. The opening seems too big compared to the tubing.
Heat some water - doesn't have to be boiling, but very hot - and dip the end of the tube into it for a minute or so to warm it up. That will make it nice and pliable and you can either work it on to the bottling wand or insert something to stretch it a bit and accomodate getting it started. It's pretty standard procedure to have tight fitting tubing but sometimes it's really a bear to get it fitted.

-So question #1 - based on this, they are saying just open the spigot to transfer the beer to the bottling bucket - so do I even need to use the auto-siphon. If I use the spigot, doesn't some of the "gunk" from fermenting then wash into the beer?

Second J A on #2...

#1.... No and maybe. Based on what you said, I'm gonna guess both your fermenter and your bottling bucket have spigots which is fine but depending on how much sediment is in your fermenter and where the spigot opening is located, as in the distance from the bottom of the bucket, you might get some gunk but don't fret over it. Just use your hose to transfer the beer into the bottle bucket.

You should also keep your fermenter from sloshing around too much when you move it...disturbing the trub will lead to trub in the bottle. if you can let it sit a day on the counter or the table before bottling. Another tip (pun intended) if you have a crap ton of sediment, tilt the fermenter bucket back a little with a 1x4 or something to let the trub slide away from the spigot then drain it off. The AutoSiphon is great tool and if you had a set up where you needed to gently get the liquid out of a bucket, it's the right tool for the job.

Last suggestion, as a first timer, focus on the sanitation of your bottles, use the right amount of priming sugar to your non carbonated beer, play with your capper some and if you are a cheap bastard like me and you are recycling 12 ouncers, make sure that no twist offs got in the supply.

Drink up!

JA and Ward - great advice. Thank you. As far as priming sugar - I plan to use the calculator on this board to figure out the amount of sugar. Question - since the amount you need is based on the volume - I am assuming I would transfer the beer into the bottling bucket - gauge how much volume I have - calculate and make the priming sugar and then pour it on top of the beer. Do I need to gently stir it in or just wait a few minutes for the priming water to settle?

I estimate before going into the bucket and add the sugar solution first, and let the beer mix as it fills. Then I give a gentle stir at the end. I have had problems adding sugar afterward. Also make sure the sugar is by weight, not volume.

I tend to boil the priming solution for a few minutes and leave it to cool. I then add it to the bottling bucket before using the siphon to transfer the beer from the fermenter to the bucket. I have a small nylon hop "sock" which I boil in the priming solution to sterilise and tie it round the bottom of the auto siphon to filter out any larger bits of trub. I find using a bottling wand on an auto siphon makes bottling far easier than using the spigot.

. I find using a bottling wand on an auto siphon makes bottling far easier than using the spigot.

Yeah...and it gives you a nice uniform amount of head room in each bottle when you have a little overflow. Thanks Archimedes!

Back