When to start the 60 min clock

Brewer #224226

Trial Member
Reaction score
I am confused about when to start the 60 minute clock. I know that it is after the DME is added. When it comes to a boil after the DME is added - do I start it then, or do I wait for the hot break - and then start it?

Pick a point - for me it's when the boil stabilizes after the hot break - and go from there every time. Exactly when isn't important, a few minutes more or less won't affect your beer quality. Just start at the same point for consistency.

It only matters if you're adding hops at 60...which I wouldn't do before hot break. If, for some reason, you're boiling DME for 60 and not adding hops until later (don't know why anyone would), it's not important at all and it only the only timing to worry about is how long the hops actually boil. E.G...if your first addition is at 20 minutes, you only have to worry about turning off your boil 20 minutes after that. If you're boil has been going on for more or less than 60 minutes, it doesn't have any real bearing.

It only matters if you're adding hops at 60...which I wouldn't do before hot break.

Never heard that before. What’s the theory behind that?

Hop oils "fizz" when they're added to boiling wort - adding at or before hot break could contribute to a boil-over. Best is just let the boil stabilize after the hot break, adds a few minutes to the boil but the boil really only starts to get interesting once the hops are added.

Hop oils "fizz" when they're added to boiling wort - adding at or before hot break could contribute to a boil-over. Best is just let the boil stabilize after the hot break, adds a few minutes to the boil but the boil really only starts to get interesting once the hops are added.
Gotcha. I was more concerned about creating an off flavor.

Always after hot break. Hops do much better in the boiling wort than they do plastered to the kettle walls above the liquid level. I do 60 minute additions unless I FWH, which is seldom.

Never heard that before. What’s the theory behind that?
The critical time factor isn't boiling the DME, in this case, and even when boiling wort collected from mashing grain, a few minutes either way wouldn't change the outcome. Hop additions, on the other hand are fairly critical due to the IBU contribution of even a minute or two extra. If you're adding hops at 60 minutes, you start the clock when you put the hops in. As I mentioned, I wouldn't want to put hops in before hot break.
My point being that it's dependent on hop additions, not the state of the boil, especially with DME. So the real question to answer, as it has been, is "when do I put the 60 minute hop addition in?...after or before hot break?" The 60 minute clock starts when you do that, no matter how long you may have boiled your wort.

Always after hot break. Hops do much better in the boiling wort than they do plastered to the kettle walls above the liquid level. I do 60 minute additions unless I FWH, which is seldom.
Couldn’t agree more, and to remedy that, I spoon the wort up the sides of the kettle to rinse them back into solution. Never realized the connection. Come to think of it, later hop additions don’t “flare up” like the initial hop does. I’ll give it a try next rime. I was more worried that there was an end product difference.

Back