Would this have worked?

Zambi

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I had some friends in South Africa last week and I tried to convince them to take some ingredients with them, so I could make another small batch.
In the end, they didn't.
But I am just curious if my idea would have worked as this beer supply shop had very little in stock.
My order was for:
Pale ale malt, finely or double crushed (I use BiaB)
Mangrove jack M47 yeast
East Kent Golding hop (they really did not have many type of hops)

Would that combination have worked?

For a 7 liter batch:
1.5 kg pale ale malt
1/2 pack M47 (or full pack)
10 gr hop - 60 min (5.5 % alpha acid)
5 gr hop - 15 min
5 gr hop - 1 min

Just keen to know if I am on the right track?

It's a basic SMASH beer.
Have you tried the recipe calculator? Just click "New Beer Recipe" and plug the ingredients into the appropriate spots. You'll know right away whether the basic recipe is within the range of what you want.

Thanks!
I was quite disappointed when they couldn't bring me the goods, but they had no space.
Now it's a matter of waiting for a new delivery

I have just started looking at the different programs. For now I think I like brewtarget.
It comes out ok in the program, but it was/is more a question whether the hops fit the yeast....

but it was/is more a question whether the hops fit the yeast....
If you use Belgian yeast, you'll get a Belgian-tasting beer. The yeast is the predominant flavor. There's nothing about the hops that's going to do much one way or another. Any noble or neutral/spicy/floral hop will work with those beers.
The recipe you laid out will make a lighter, plainer version of a Belgian Pale Ale or maybe you could classify it as a Patersbier...nothing special but a fine basic beer.

It's got all the 4 basic elements of what we call beer malt hops water and the most important yeast it's how we combine these elements together is what determines a great beer from a good one. Ok ill get off me soap box now. As above it would make a fine beer.

Thanks!
So job one is going to be to learn the different yeasts....
My game plan is being narrowed done ;)

Thanks!
So job one is going to be to learn the different yeasts....
My game plan is being narrowed done ;)
Ah I love the enthusiasm! Mate yeast out populate us on this planet many times over. A beautiful thing no wonder they called beer a miracle back in the day "God is good" they would proclaim! Because some mysterious force turned sweet wort into beer!

I'm still on the same path as youve begun exploring these amazing minute organisms "Yeast"!

I'll limit myself to Belgian dry yeasts to start of with.....
Still plenty of those ;)

Back