First Wort Hop Selection

Craigerrr

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Brewed this last summer, it was the first really good beer I turned out.
I am wondering though if the first wort hop addition should be something other than Citra.
It is a spendy hop, and if I am not mistaken, it is not the best selection for a first wort addition.
Yeast is Escarpment Labs Foggy London Ale, which I believe is the same as British Ale III.
Thanks !

snapshot.JPG

I'd be tempted to replace the first wort addition with a neutral bittering hop. Maybe Galena, Magnum, Nugget or Northern Brewer. As long as you're getting the same IBU's from it, I doubt you'd notice much of a difference in the final product. I replace a lot of 60min additions with Galena or Nugget because they are the bittering hops varieties I grow and have lots of on hand.

I'd agree with that^^^, though I don't think of all those hops as "neutral". Nugget, for instance has some very intense piney, woody, spicy flavors and even Magnum changes the flavor profile somewhat. I'd add Warrior to that list, though it's distinctively piney. What I think they may provide, however is good bittering characteristics that make for a smoother, less harsh quality than Citra can bring.
My choice would be Magnum because I think it tends to stay out of the way, though it can enhance fruity notes from hops like Citra. I think Northern Brewer is probably most like Magnum on that list, though I may be thinking of Brewer's Gold. I'm not familiar with Galena but from the descriptions it might be a real gem for this application.

Maybe even Bravo. I use Bravo in one of my IPA’s that I brew often that has a lot of Citra later and at flameout

I'd agree with that^^^, though I don't think of all those hops as "neutral". Nugget, for instance has some very intense piney, woody, spicy flavors and even Magnum changes the flavor profile somewhat. I'd add Warrior to that list, though it's distinctively piney. What I think they may provide, however is good bittering characteristics that make for a smoother, less harsh quality than Citra can bring.
My choice would be Magnum because I think it tends to stay out of the way, though it can enhance fruity notes from hops like Citra. I think Northern Brewer is probably most like Magnum on that list, though I may be thinking of Brewer's Gold. I'm not familiar with Galena but from the descriptions it might be a real gem for this application.

Ya, I think Galena might be a good replacement. It brings citrus notes that might work well here. From what I recall its a cross of Brewers Gold and another variety. Magnum would work well too.

Reactions: J A
Wicked feedback, lots of great input, thanks so much!

So this is going to sound stupid but what are first wort hops? I do BIAB, no sparge etc. When are they added?

First Wort hop addition is when you add hops right after the mash is completed, so before coming to a boil.

There is some conflicting information out there regarding FWH. Opinions seem to range from, " not only do first wort hops provide a smoother bittering, but also add flavor similar to that of a 20 minute boil addition." to, "I find no real difference in the quality of bittering, nor do I find any perceivable flavor contribution."
After using FWH in a number of brews, my opinion falls much closer to the former than the latter. Most of these brews were when I had a boat load of Columbus and found them to be pretty bitter when used at 60 minutes.

jmac67%, First wort hops are added to the brew kettle as you are starting to drain the first runnings from your mash/lauter vessel. They most commonly replace the primary bittering addition. When doing BIAB you'd get very similar results tossing the hops into the kettle when you remove the bag.

There is some conflicting information out there regarding FWH. Opinions seem to range from, " not only do first wort hops provide a smoother bittering, but also add flavor similar to that of a 20 minute boil addition." to, "I find no real difference in the quality of bittering, nor do I find any perceivable flavor contribution."
After using FWH in a number of brews, my opinion falls much closer to the former than the latter. Most of these brews were when I had a boat load of Columbus and found them to be pretty bitter when used at 60 minutes.

jmac67%, First wort hops are added to the brew kettle as you are starting to drain the first runnings from your mash/lauter vessel. They most commonly replace the primary bittering addition. When doing BIAB you'd get very similar results tossing the hops into the kettle when you remove the bag.
What I've seen from tests done "in the blind", there's not much difference between FWH and boil hopping. That said, n is pretty small in all of those cases. I haven't abandoned it based on the results I've seen.

I have tried FWH with Warrior in my IPAs and could not tell the difference from 60 min.

Regarding Citra, I wouldn’t boil them any longer than 10 min. I prefer to use them in whirlpool and DH.

All good conversation folks.

I think if I brew this one again this summer I will totally revamp the hop schedule. I think I will move all the boil/FW hops to whirlpool additions. I brewed this last year for our Maniversary, my buddies and I have been getting together on Wednesday nights for the last 13 years. Through rain, shine, sleet, or snow! The only time we miss a Wednesday is when we move it to a Thursday to accommodate a member with unbreakable plans, or Christmas day.

It's also supposedly a good way to reduce the size of the foam on the initial boil. So maybe worth doing if you have problems with boil overs.

Back