So...what's going on here?

Ward Chillington

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Here's my Papazian Propensity Pilsner at 3 weeks in the conditioner at 70 degrees F and about 2 days into a lagering period in my cellar which right now is 48 degrees. So tonight I decided to see how the carbination did and sample the brew. On picking out a botte from the batch, I did as I always do, I held it up to the light to see that all looks good, no ring around the fill line and no junk floating on top. As this was a lighter brew than my usual make being a porter, I wanted to see how clear the bulb was going to shine through; was there haze or was my light bulb going to be easily seen. Instead, it was both! Take a look at the neck...

20190305_192508.jpeg

And the line between the clear brew and the hazy brew had no fade! It was in no way diffuse! I thought it was a wear spot on the bottle but nope... it was inside! What's going on? Is this the start of what lagering does?? Settles out anything in the liquid? If you can't see it too well in the pix, take a look at the pix below, what you see in the glass is about the clarity of the lower half of the uncapped bottle.

As you see, it carbed up quite well and has that slight hint of fruitiness. Had I been able to just skim off that first 3 inches I would have and meanwhile...it's gonna be tough to not drink this over the next 4 weeks!

20190305_184043.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks delicious. Probably just lagering. Did you drink the top half?

Looks delicious. Probably just lagering. Did you drink the top half?
Oh yeah...but along with the bottom! It all went into the glass. Sweet, good mouth feel, slightly fruity. I'll check in on it in a couple more days and see if that top level of clear gets greater.

It's like a Papazian Propensity Sunset in the bottle, that is very cool! Sounds like you will be real sad to drink the last drop of this. Whatever you did, do you think you could do it again?

It looks like you didn't use any clarifiers, gelatin, pvpp, etc. I see that same effect in the carboy as they clear. Keep them cold for 2 weeks or so and it will clear up for you beautifully.

And then......bottoms up!

It looks like you didn't use any clarifiers, gelatin, pvpp, etc. I see that same effect in the carboy as they clear. Keep them cold for 2 weeks or so and it will clear up for you beautifully.

And then......bottoms up!
Yeppers no filters here although I do a pinch of Irish Moss at the end of the boil. I have been watching these bottles every day now since the conditioning has been done and the gradient level is dropping ever so slightly each day.....or so it seems....and what's interesting is that the near exact thing is going on in the 22 oz bombers in that the clear/hazy interface is in the same spot on them just below the bottle shoulder! Science!

Wow! Almost forgot about Alfred E. Newman :D

No kidding! Anyone for a little Spy vs Spy?

Hahaha. Been a long time but now that I see Alfred again I can't help but think he and george bush have similar features.

He always reminded me of John F. Kennedy.

Back at this thread....so...tell me about Gelatin for fining.

As I mentioned, I use Irish Moss and we are at about 2 weeks into the lagering and I honestly do not see much of a change from where the sediment was 2 weeks ago. A little more poking around on those other homebrew forums and I found brewers that had this going on just like I am...same location in the bottle and all but the explanations behind the anomaly made little sense to me...static electricity? How's that work in a liquid? ( PS..I still have a Scientific America article to read) But back to my question....

Who's got a good link to an instructional for using Gelatin for botteling? Maybe I'm doing my search the wrong way but everything I am seeing so far applies to using it for Kegging your brew. Can Gelatin be used for botteling? Bottom line...I want my pale brews to be as clear and bright as my porters.

Remind me and I'll provide you my procedure when I get home this evening.

1/2 teaspoon geletin dissolved in 1/2 cup of 80c ish water. Pour this into your cold crashed fermented lager leave for a day or two bottle her up. Don't worry about not enough yeast in suspension I've bottles some off my lager fermentations and they carb fine.

Another thing is your brew process

1/2 teaspoon geletin dissolved in 1/2 cup of 80c ish water. Pour this into your cold crashed fermented lager leave for a day or two bottle her up. Don't worry about not enough yeast in suspension I've bottles some off my lager fermentations and they carb fine.

Another thing is your brew process
Mine's a bit more scientific.... Can't remember all the details, will have to look up my card when I get home.

HVM, thanks for posting this article, I saved it so I can go over it when I have some time.

Back