Yeast Nutrient

jmac67%

Premium Member
Reaction score
I think I read that some people add yeast nutrient to the boil. I add it when I pitch the yeast into the carboy. Any comments on this?

The reason for the boil is to kill off any nasties. The label on the yeast nutrient I use asks for a 10 minute boil.

The reason for the boil is to kill off any nasties. The label on the yeast nutrient I use asks for a 10 minute boil.
Have used wyeast nutrient for several years. Add it according to directions on container. What @Mase said is correct.

It also dissolves it completely. As you add Wyeast nutrient to the boil it will give off ammonium odor, has anyone else noticed it?

Reactions: J A
I think I read that some people add yeast nutrient to the boil. I add it when I pitch the yeast into the carboy. Any comments on this?
Not really necessary. I've heard some people saying it adds necessary zinc, can't say my yeast have missed it. Adding ammonium compounds provide yeast with free amino nitrogen, necessary for growth but generally provided in sufficient quantities by malt. I use it in starters, that's about all.

Reactions: J A
It also dissolves it completely. As you add Wyeast nutrient to the boil it will give off ammonium odor, has anyone else noticed it?
Yes, definitely. I wonder about how that stuff impacts the flavor of the beer. It may be subtle but any sort of harsh note like that can throw things off.

I use it in starters, that's about all.
I think that's where I'm headed with it. I've used it every batch, especially since I tend to use a lot of slurry pitches, but I'm going to start doing things differently.

Yes, definitely. I wonder about how that stuff impacts the flavor of the beer. It may be subtle but any sort of harsh note like that can throw things off.
It doesn't affect flavor. The yeast absorb it and convert it to amino acids. Any free ammonia gets scrubbed out in fermentation. It's normally diammonium phosphate or urea, sometimes ammonium carbonate which is used as leavening in bread in middle eastern bakeries. All-grain wort has enough FAN for a normal fermentation.

Back