15minute boil home brew challenge

Ozarks Mountain Brewery

Lifetime Member
Staff member
Established Member
Reaction score

I hope to find several people to brew this beer and tell me the results. This is a challenge to use the exact same ingredients and roughly the same steps to brew it. It will be an extract and hops only beer, no bags or extra steps, an exact process to a degree needs to be used for this comparison.

Equipment-Rules
1. 5gallon or close kettle
2. A stove top or 115v induction used for the heat source, a propane burner could be used
3. Ingredients are 6 pounds light DME, 3 pounds amber DME
4. 4 gallons including displacement liquid boiled, no more
5. All ingredients will be added to cold water with hops and DME, mixed before heating
6. All hops will remain in the fermentation vessel for the duration without filtering or removing

Steps
Freeze 3 gallons of water in a 7-gallon bucket if possible, this will chill the wort instantly
Add all hops and dry malt extract to the boil kettle, fill water to top out at 4 gallons cold, mix well when adding. Start the heat when mixed, leave the lid on cracked to heat up faster, once the boil starts set the timer for 15 minutes, add your whirlfloc tablet at 5 minutes, when finished boiling turn off the heat and let sit 15 minutes, poor hot wort on the ice, stir and ferment the way you normally do, you should end up with 6 gallons in the fermenter, add extra water if necessary
You will have much more sediment than normal, you should be able to package 5 or more gallons. Tell me your tasting notes when packaged and fully carbed

good luck

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/798553/15-minute-boil-challenge

What hops? You wanna link a recipie I've only seen dark and light DME here in Aus

And do you have a yeast that you’d like ya all to use, or is that the brewer’s choice?

I hope to find several people to brew this beer and tell me the results. This is a challenge to use the exact same ingredients and roughly the same steps to brew it. It will be an extract and hops only beer, no bags or extra steps, an exact process to a degree needs to be used for this comparison.

Equipment-Rules
1. 5gallon or close kettle
2. A stove top or 115v induction used for the heat source, a propane burner could be used
3. Ingredients are 6 pounds light DME, 3 pounds amber DME
4. 4 gallons including displacement liquid boiled, no more
5. All ingredients will be added to cold water with hops and DME, mixed before heating
6. All hops will remain in the fermentation vessel for the duration without filtering or removing

Steps
Freeze 3 gallons of water in a 7-gallon bucket if possible, this will chill the wort instantly
Add all hops and dry malt extract to the boil kettle, fill water to top out at 4 gallons cold, mix well when adding. Start the heat when mixed, leave the lid on cracked to heat up faster, once the boil starts set the timer for 15 minutes, add your whirlfloc tablet at 5 minutes, when finished boiling turn off the heat and let sit 15 minutes, poor hot wort on the ice, stir and ferment the way you normally do, you should end up with 6 gallons in the fermenter, add extra water if necessary
You will have much more sediment than normal, you should be able to package 5 or more gallons. Tell me your tasting notes when packaged and fully carbed

good luck

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/798553/15-minute-boil-challenge
I do 15 minute one-gallon batches frequently - they're my go-to test protocol! The beers come out tasting great, but I've taken to adding some sugar - I notice the body is a bit thick on all-extract brews.

I like the idea of participating but I just can't see spending nearly $40 on extract when I can make the same beer with around $8 worth of malt. I was just thinking I need a starter batch and was contemplating doing a quickie 3-gallon pale or amber. Maybe I'll do a half batch of this and see if it turns out better than the LME batches I've done.

^^^^ What he said. Scale it back to a gallon or maybe three to cut the cost.

Reactions: J A
I'm curious, going to pick up my Kolsch yeast on Thursday, could grab the rest of the materials. I haven't done an extract batch in nearly 2 years.

Here it is a hoppy pale ale, very good too

IMG_20190427_201033754-1209x1612.jpg

Back