Sparge in a bag?

BilltownBrewingCo

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

My ol Man has had this igloo party tank around for whenever he had a keg out at the farm... Not sure why I never thought to use it as amash tun until now... Silly me.

Anyway, I recently got a brew bag custom made to fit it, because we've been brewing in a bag. And I just recently thought, why couldn't I just sparge through this vessel?

Anyone see any reason I couldn't just use the bag do do the job of a false bottom?
Attach62388_20190312_092600.jpg

Stuck sparge! I use a false bottom, but I don’t do BIAB, rather conventional. You could also check into a bazooka type collection pipe connected to the discharge valve.

Nevertheless, there’s plenty of others that BIAB that will soon be by to expand in greater detail.

Stuck sparge! I use a false bottom, but I don’t do BIAB, rather conventional. You could also check into a bazooka type collection pipe connected to the discharge valve.

Nevertheless, there’s plenty of others that BIAB that will soon be by to expand in greater detail.
I guess this is what I'm asking, is the stuck sparge something I will need to worry about with this setup, if so, why?

Method wise no problem at all , I did this regularly.
I'd batch sparge and stir , allow to stand 10 minutes then run off to a jug until it's clear then straight to kettle.

Only issue is that cooler taps were never designed for sanitary usage, or higher temps.
I'd be fitting a ball valve and screen

Method wise no problem at all , I did this regularly.
I'd batch sparge and stir , allow to stand 10 minutes then run off to a jug until it's clear then straight to kettle.

Only issue is that cooler taps were never designed for sanitary usage, or higher temps.
I'd be fitting a ball valve and screen

I do plan on fitting exactly that, however, I don't think I will get to it this weekend. Will before the second brew though.

I have sparged through a bag. Works great. Some people squeeze the grain afterward. I would not recommend it. Just let it drain after it is clear.

I mash in a bag all the time, it's literally how I brew. I use a bazooka tube simply because the bag can get sucked into the drain hole.

FCpfCkv.jpg

I have used a brewing bag in my 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler for quite some time. I removed the bazooka screen and installed an elbow that almost reaches the bottom of the cooler.(see below) Once I drain the second runnings I raise the bag several inches off of the bottom and screw the lid on to hold it there.
Since I started doing this I don't vorlauf, I reduced grain absorption to what's typical for BIAB and I have next to no dead space.
Elbow.jpg

An elbow is probably a better idea, I just had the bazooka tube handy. I too also have very little deadspace. My numbers only get screwy as I typically over sparge to have starter wort for yeast.

I like both of those mash in a bag setups. I like the rectangular one because I mash in a cooler like that, but I would need to order a custom bag to fit it. I like the round one because I have a bag from my BIAB days, but then I need to buy a round cooler... I will likely go one route or the other in the not too distant future.

I had a round cooler but I couldn't do 10 gallon batches in it so I went with a larger box cooler.
The round cooler above has a 30 gallon capacity. I assume even if I'm doing a big beer I could still do 10 gallons.

I like both of those mash in a bag setups. I like the rectangular one because I mash in a cooler like that, but I would need to order a custom bag to fit it. I like the round one because I have a bag from my BIAB days, but then I need to buy a round cooler... I will likely go one route or the other in the not too distant future.

I got the bag for my 14 gallon kettle when I started doing BIAB. I happened to be a good fit for the 10 gallon cooler as well. Ya gotta get lucky once in awhile.

WoW! I don't think I've seen or heard of a 30 gallon round cooler. It must be massive!
It's an old Igloo "Party Barrel" before they put legs/wheels on them. May not sell them at all anymore... It's basically a cooler made to put ice around a keg for parties.

Back