OG is lower than it should be based on calculator.

Coffeybean

Trial Member
Reaction score
This is the beer I madeI must say ,as I kegged it today, it tastes really really good!
HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Pfriem IPA Clone
Author: Rustybrews

Brew Method: Partial Mash
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 70 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 4 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.087
Efficiency: 65% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.070
Final Gravity: 1.018
ABV (standard): 6.81%
IBU (tinseth): 191.01
SRM (morey): 6.48
Mash pH: 5.53

FERMENTABLES:
6.6 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Extra Light (59.7%)
2.22 lb - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (20.1%)
1.11 lb - American - Munich - Light 10L (10%)
0.56 lb - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (5.1%)
0.56 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 10L (5.1%)

HOPS:
1.38 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 13.4, Use: Boil for 70 min, IBU: 52.11
1.38 oz - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.8, Use: Boil for 70 min, IBU: 49.77
1.63 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Whirlpool for 15 min at 150 °F, IBU: 30.52
1.63 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Whirlpool for 15 min at 150 °F, IBU: 26.86
1.63 oz - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Whirlpool for 15 min at 150 °F, IBU: 31.74
5 oz - Mix mo/ch/citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Dry Hop for 14 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Sparge, Temp: 153 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 5.8 qt, Dunk

YEAST:
Imperial Yeast - A38 Juice
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 74%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 64 - 74 F
Fermentation Temp: 67 F
Pitch Rate: 0.35 (M cells / ml / deg P)

TARGET WATER PROFILE:
Profile Name: Balanced Profile
Ca2: 0
Mg2: 0
Na: 0
Cl: 0
SO4: 0
HCO3: 0
Water Notes:
tap water
NOTES:
Note: depending perhaps on yeast, and other minor things, this recipe is also very similar to Georgetown Bodhizafa.
Tried and true are mosaic citra combos (deschutes fresh squeezed, ft George suicide squeeze, others) and in this instance adds chinook for more citrusy grapefruit appeal. Also could use London ESB yeast, I think those others I mentioned might use that strain.

If you prefer less grapefruit essence, reduce or eliminate chinook dry hop, or go the other way if you wish.

After about 2 weeks at 40F, several people think this is my best beer of many dozens brewed. Success as a lasting recipe! Yippee!!!

Generated by Brewer's Friend - https://www.brewersfriend.com/
Date: 2019-03-05 23:39 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2019-03-05 21:20 UTC

The recipe calculator states the OG should have been 1.070 with a final gravity of 1.017 and an ABV of 6.8%. Instead, I got an original gravity of 1.059 with a final gravity of 1.015 and an ABV of 5.8% and an attenuation of 74%.
The temperature at the time I took the original gravity was approximately 70F for which I added a point based on the Hydrometer calibration. I mixed and aerated the wort to assure homogeneity.

Can anyone explain the discrepancy?

Thank you

Last edited:
Permission error on the recipe, can't see it.

At a guess, is the efficiency on the recipe set to what you expect to get off your system?

At a guess, is the efficiency on the recipe set to what you expect to get off your system?

Thanks for your reply. Hmmm, The Efficiency is calculated by "brewers Friend" and I see no way to change it or the OG target. I assume efficiency is calculated based on fermentables? I am not sure what you mean by System?

You should be able to manually adjust it when you're creating the recipe.

In this case, you may have gotten a bump in efficiency.

Were all your volumes correct too?

At a guess, is the efficiency on the recipe set to what you expect to get off your system?[/QUOTE
You should be able to manually adjust it when you're creating the recipe.

In this case, you may have gotten a bump in efficiency.

Were all your volumes correct too?

I used a recipe from this site, modified the ingredients and water to match my volumes so yes, they are correct. The fermentation bucket I use has marks for volume that I placed there to assure accuracy. I see no way to "Edit" the SG on the recipe when I go into Edit.
I suppose if I put in more water than I should have that would lower my OG but I am fairly certain I have accurately placed these measurement marks on my fermentation bucket..

Have you set up an equipment profile? The recipe builder relies on information you input there in order to make reasonably close estimates. Also, if you have changed any of your equipment or process you may need to update the profile.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/profile/equipment

I had not set up a profile. I followed the link to do so but I have no idea what water losses, absorptions etc. are. I have a bucket, a pot, a hydrometer calibrated to 68F and an emersion chiller. I know no other stats they request.

Recipe means nothing without knowing what your own system will do. An efficiency of 65% shouldn't be hard to hit, but you didn't. The efficiency setting in the recipe has nothing to do with what you may or may not actually get. It's either a default average or it's based on the efficiency of the the system of the brewer who posted the recipe.
If your efficiency was at least 65%, your ingredients didn't match the recipe or your final volumes didn't match. All it takes is more volume into the fermenter to dump the OG number by 5 or 10 points because the sugars created or added are diluted more.
Partial mash is easy in terms of hitting the numbers...just keep extra malt extract around to make up the difference.

I had not set up a profile. I followed the link to do so but I have no idea what water losses, absorptions etc. are. I have a bucket, a pot, a hydrometer calibrated to 68F and an emersion chiller. I know no other stats they request.

I believe you'll find that all of the items in the equipment profile have short explanations included like common ranges, defaults and/or other descriptions. Set the things you can measure and use the defaults for the unknowns. If you keep notes for a few brews and make adjustments as needed you can dial in your profile and have a very good idea of what to expect

As with any software, GIGO (garbage in, garbage out) poor inputs will only result in poor output.
As an example, you should know the total volume that goes into the kettle and you can measure what you end up with after the boil. The difference would be your boiloff. If you boil for an hour it would also be your boiloff rate. Since you're doing a partial mash you know how much water you started with and how much liquid you ended up with. The difference is grain absorption and whatever loss you had in the vessel you mash in. The profile tells you what to expect for grain absorption, so some simple math will tell you what the loss is.

Also, you cannot expect to have the same results as another brewer does for the same recipe. You have different equipment and some differences in your procedures.

Back