Repitch yeast after fermentation stop?

Coffeybean

Trial Member
Reaction score
so, I hope I didn’t lost the batch cuz I think the recipe has the potential to be one of my best but...I was a day 1/2 late adding dry hops cuz I had not purchased enought. I was torn on contaminating my batch so boild the hop pellets in a cup of water before letting them cool a bit and tossing them in the bucket of heavily fermenting wort. Tge wort now 2 days later isnt bubbling. Should I repitch?

Nope...The hops didn't have anything to do with it. The main fermentation is done. It's a bucket so it may not bubble out the airlock when the fermentation is less vigorous. Leave it alone and check it in a week or so.
If the hops you added were for dry hops you could have added them at any time, if they were supposed to go in the boil at any time other than flame out, your IBUs will be low but it'll be okay. If they were flame out hops, adding them during fermentation will work fine.

Nope...The hops didn't have anything to do with it. The main fermentation is done. It's a bucket so it may not bubble out the airlock when the fermentation is less vigorous. Leave it alone and check it in a week or so.
If the hops you added were for dry hops you could have added them at any time, if they were supposed to go in the boil at any time other than flame out, your IBUs will be low but it'll be okay. If they were flame out hops, adding them during fermentation will work fine.

Thanks. They were for dry hopping. My concern was the heat from the boiling the hops and not cooling entirely before tossing in the bucket first may gave killed the yeast. All brews thus far 10+ have bubbled pretty vigerouly the fost week. This one did for 1.5 days until I added the hops.

Reactions: J A
The volume of water you added was small enough that no significant temperature change would have occurred. I often add a cup of boiling water with priming sugar to my batches in the keg. One cup of boiling water in three gallons of beer doesn't affect the yeast.

When you put the bucket lid back on it might not have sealed completely so the gas is leaking out from around the lid instead of the airlock. Not a problem, it happens all the time.

Thanks. They were for dry hopping. My concern was the heat from the boiling the hops and not cooling entirely before tossing in the bucket first may gave killed the yeast. All brews thus far 10+ have bubbled pretty vigerouly the fost week. This one did for 1.5 days until I added the hops.
For future reference, dry hopping can be accomplished by just dumping directly from a freshly-opened packet into the wort. No need to sterilize. If you're using a hop-bag, that should be sanitized or sterilized but the hops are fine on their own. And even if you dumped a cup of boiling water into the wort, you wouldn't raise the temp enough to harm the yeast. A cup of boiling water in 5 gallons of 70 degree wort will result in about a 3 degree rise in temp.
Buckets are notoriously inconsistent when it comes to sealing well enough to bubble through the airlock. When you took the lid off, you released all the pressure built up by the first, more vigorous fermentation. Now that the pressure is starting at zero and fermentation is slower, it will leak out the seal fast enough that there's no excess to bubble through the airlock.
All is well. ;)

I just dump the hops right in.

Back