First lager, OG, FG, and mash question.

Ron Reyes (Papa Piggy)

Trial Member
Reaction score
My first ever lager attempt went better than expected but I have some questions. My OG was 1.059. My FG was estimated by the software at being 1.014. After 11 days firmenting at 55 degrees the gravity was 1.016. The sulphuric smell was gone and the taste was fine with no hint of butter... so I raised the temp to 65 for a diacetyl rest. I checked it after 2 and 3 days and the gravity seems done at 1.016. Is that close enough? Should I leave it longer before lagering in my Keezer? Also am I safe to assume that the reason it stopped At 1.016 is due to an erratic mash with temps as high as 156. It was my first direct heated recirculating mash and I had trouble keeping the temp at 152. I’ve since worked that issue out.

Yeah it's done stable gravity over a few days at them temps. Thats 72 % attenuation a bit low in my books but it does depend on yeast selection. Your grist will help to as in how much crystal/sex malts. Yeah maybe the high mash temps favoured unfermentables but I'm sure if everything is clean and sanitary you should have a nice lager after all this.

You can get your attenuation down by mashing @ 145F for 90+ minutes. Even though conversion is complete in 30 minutes or so, the beta enzymes are still breaking down the remaining complex sugars to more fermentable sugars. This takes time to complete that process. It's also a good idea to strike at 150F or below to keep the beta enzymes from beginning to be denatured, at least that's what I do. It will give you a couple of more points of attenuation. I went from 75-76% to 79-81%, not a lot, but it keeps the sweetness down.

Agree with above^^^ . Lower mash for lagers and no crystal malt. Pilsner with maybe some Vienna or Munich for flavor. If you're not confident of your mash, maybe a very small percentage of Carapils.
Another thing that's important for lagers is mash PH. A little acidulated malt or lactic or phosphoric acid to get your PH in the right range can do wonders for mash efficiency and attenuation.

My first ever lager attempt went better than expected but I have some questions. My OG was 1.059. My FG was estimated by the software at being 1.014. After 11 days firmenting at 55 degrees the gravity was 1.016. The sulphuric smell was gone and the taste was fine with no hint of butter... so I raised the temp to 65 for a diacetyl rest. I checked it after 2 and 3 days and the gravity seems done at 1.016. Is that close enough? Should I leave it longer before lagering in my Keezer? Also am I safe to assume that the reason it stopped At 1.016 is due to an erratic mash with temps as high as 156. It was my first direct heated recirculating mash and I had trouble keeping the temp at 152. I’ve since worked that issue out.
Crystal/sex malts aside, there are too many variables to answer your question without a recipe and your procedure. No sign of butter doesn't mean diacetyl isn't there - do a forced diacetyl test (basically take a sample of your beer and microwave it - you can look up the exact procedure) to see if the precursor is there. But all in all, a miss of 0.002 isn't worth worrying about. Your beer is imperceptibly thicker than it should be.

The grist: 6 lbs Vienna, 3 lbs Pilsner, 2 lbs Munich, .25 lb acidulated and .13 lb Caraga ll. I used 2 packs of saflager S 23

Crystal/sex malts.... mmm just googled that... something to do with Druids.
You gotta love ya sex malts man my spelling sux and dam auto correct.
Dex malts:p!!!

One way to find out is brew that batch again but mash lower for longer and see how your attenuation fairs then.

One way to find out is brew that batch again but mash lower for longer and see how your attenuation fairs then.

Sounds like a Freudian slip to me :D:D:D

It's 0.002 points. RDWHAHB.

It's 0.002 points. RDWHAHB.
Totaly.
just wondering if it was worth holding on a couple more days in primary before racking and lagering for the next 6 or so weeks. I made the jump and racked it. so far i think its gonna come out fine for my first lager attempt.

Totaly.
just wondering if it was worth holding on a couple more days in primary before racking and lagering for the next 6 or so weeks. I made the jump and racked it. so far i think its gonna come out fine for my first lager attempt.
For the record, I think so, too.

My second most favorite part about this hobby is the learning.
My most favorite part is of course the KILLER beer I have been making lately.
I thank all of the helpful folks on BF for all of the help and support I have received!

It's 3.5 ounces of sugar. Assuming a 5 gallon batch.

Sounds like a Freudian slip to me :D:D:D
I had to Google what Freudin even ment.

A Freudian slip, also called parapraxis, is an error in speech, memory, or physical action that occurs due to the interference of an unconscious subdued wish or internal train of thought. The concept is part of classical psychoanalysis.Wikipedia

Ha ha ha very funny Bob you got me:D!

Hmmm this beer has way to high percentage of sex malts it's having an adverse effect on me making me horney lol!

I had to Google what Freudin even ment.

A Freudian slip, also called parapraxis, is an error in speech, memory, or physical action that occurs due to the interference of an unconscious subdued wish or internal train of thought. The concept is part of classical psychoanalysis.Wikipedia

Ha ha ha very funny Bob you got me:D!

Hmmm this beer has way to high percentage of sex malts it's having an adverse effect on me making me horney lol!
Beer goggles.

Back