GoldenEye

BilltownBrewingCo

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all, brewed this last weekend.

I actually mashed at 150° instead of the 153° listed. It's currently fermenting at 68°. Had an exceptionally flocculant and intense fermentation to start.

Thinking about entering this in a competition when finished... Figured it would go in the APA category with the hops, but curious if y'all think the WLP007 and the ViennaVwill give it enough European flavor to seem out of place?

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/769067/goldeneye

APA is a pretty broad category. I think the Vienna will beef up the malt backbone and the WLP007 may leave enough maltiness to make it very good. My overall beef with most pales is that the brewers punch up the hops too much and forget there's malt in there as well. Yours should avoid that problem. I think you're going to have a good beer.

APA is a pretty broad category. I think the Vienna will beef up the malt backbone and the WLP007 may leave enough maltiness to make it very good. My overall beef with most pales is that the brewers punch up the hops too much and forget there's malt in there as well. Yours should avoid that problem. I think you're going to have a good beer.
Thank you sir! I sure hope you're right!

I definitely agree with Nosybear, that this should be a good APA.
Please give us an update in a month or two! I think your malt bill is great (big vienna fan myself) but very curious how the hops turn out. :)

I've been using 007 in my last 2 IPA and it does as nosey said leave plenty malt flavour behind I think you'll enjoy it.

That looks like a solid beer. Not as hoppy as a lot of apa's but some people hop them to ipa level. Yours will let the malt backbone show while still having a nice hoppy note too. I like how simple the recipe is too. No chance of the different flavors contrasting or muddling together.

I definitely agree with Nosybear, that this should be a good APA.
Please give us an update in a month or two! I think your malt bill is great (big vienna fan myself) but very curious how the hops turn out. :)
Will be putting it into the bottle this Satruday. Will let y'all know in a few weeks!

Well, the pre bottle taste test tells me I have a great beer. That said, next time I will probably go slightly heavier on the hop billing next time. Will see when we've got a finished product

It turned out to be a blonde and not an APA... But it's great beer.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190309-150047.png
    Screenshot_20190309-150047.png
    604 KB · Views: 224

Back