Yeast Question

PadraigJ

Trial Member
Reaction score
I have some Wyeast Ale 1056 that has a date of Nov 18 2018 and has been refrigerated since around then. It looks like it has activated and bag is inflated a bit. Question- can I still use the yeast if I am going to make up a starter? Or is it too old? Thanks

I have some Wyeast Ale 1056 that has a date of Nov 18 2018 and has been refrigerated since around then. It looks like it has activated and bag is inflated a bit. Question- can I still use the yeast if I am going to make up a starter? Or is it too old? Thanks
Smack the pack and see if it pressurizes first. It doesn't have to inflate all the way, you just need to know there's still quite a bit of live yeast in there. After that, make your starter and as Hogarthe said, you should be fine.

Personally, I've done multi-step starters with pitches from Imperial dated September 18. Yeast calculator says it's very viability is very low but in my experience there really is a lot more viable yeast than we think. I'd do a lower gravity starter and step it up to be sure.

As Nosybear said, if it doesn't inflate all the way then you may have a mostly dead pack.

Smack the pack and see if it pressurizes first. It doesn't have to inflate all the way, you just need to know there's still quite a bit of live yeast in there. After that, make your starter and as Hogarthe said, you should be fine.
Thank you for your reply first off. I will try to smack it, but a bit concerned because the 2 packs have both inflated like when it is activated. Think it is still good?

It's probably fine. I wouldn't worry about it. Just do the starter as recommended if you want to be sure.

If you don't do a starter you will never know until you pitch it in the wort and it either works or not. Proof it if you are worried.

Thank you for your reply first off. I will try to smack it, but a bit concerned because the 2 packs have both inflated like when it is activated. Think it is still good?
Pull it out and bring it up to room temp and rouse the yeast to get them into suspension. If you give me more info I can run it through a yeast calculator. I'd need your OG and pitch rate.

I had one about a month ago that was fully inflated to the point of near bursting yet the smack pack was intact I carefully popped the pack and poured into a starter. it worked so well I harvested the yeast after the brew and just pitched it again and had active fermentation in 2 hours. BLUF: as everyone said pitch it to a starter, build up cell count pitch and enjoy.

Last edited:
I had one about a month ago that was fully inflated to the point of near bursting yet the smack pack was intact I carfully pooped the pack and poured into a starter. it worked so well i harvested the yeast after the brew and just pitched it again and had active fermentation in 2 hours. BLUF: as everyone said pitch it to a starter, build up cell count pitch and enjoy.
Thank you, that was a big help.
P

Pull it out and bring it up to room temp and rouse the yeast to get them into suspension. If you give me more info I can run it through a yeast calculator. I'd need your OG and pitch rate.
Let me get it going, and will get back. Thank you, I appreciate it.

Back