How long do i leave hop bag in fermenter.

Brewer #217645

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi all, newbie here. Im doing a Coopers Pale ale extract with brew enhancer 2. For the first time i will be using Cascade hops in a tea bag and us05 yeast. I will do as instructions say but need to know, do i leave the bag in for the duration of the ferment?

Typically this is done after the ferment is done. I wait for the Krausen to fall then I dump it in. Leave for three to four days then keg it.

A lot of kits instruct to transfer flameout hops into the fermenter along with the cooling wort. If that's the case, just leave it for the duration. If you're dry-hopping then you can do as ChicoBrewer mentions and add the hops in a sanitized bag after fermentation slows down. Dryhops are generally left in the beer for 4 to 7 days, maybe a little longer...too short a time doesn't get the goods and too long can add a grassy, vegetal flavor to the beer.

I've never noticed a problem with a week or two of the hops being in there personally. I wouldn't leave them for a month or more but that's more paranoia than fact.

Reactions: J A
This is a case of, "ask 10 brewers and get 12 answers.". Everyone has their own opinion on dry hopping, Most come from personal experience and taste. Science tells us that, like all chemical reactions, warmer temperatures increase the speed of the reaction.

Personally, I have quit dry hopping in the fermenter in favor of keg hopping and/or late additions. If used, the hop strainer goes into the keg when it's filled and remains there until it's empty.

Personally, I have quit dry hopping in the fermenter in favor of keg hopping and/or late additions. If used, the hop strainer goes into the keg when it's filled and remains there until it's empty.
Our self-described "newbie" OP isn't likely to be kegging or keg hopping...or have a stainless hop strainer rather than the hop bag in question. :D :D :D

Pretty much trying to point out that the answers the OP will get here, or in any other forum, are purely subjective. I think my statement about keg hopping was within that context.

Wasn't a criticism. :)

Didn't take it as such. Just like to keep the air clear .

I should try that stainless keg hop thing I bought on a whim sometime.

I use to put hops in a Muslim bag, I have just been dumping them in loose my last few dry hop batches. They just settle to the bottom anyway, getting the bag in was a b!tch, getting it after racking was an effing b!tch...

Oh I always dry hop in the fermentor, I only had to try and fish a hop sock out of a glass carboy once to learn that lesson.

Yea, Better Bottles are a little easier, but still a pain in the a$$. Love my Fermonsters!

I just chuck the dry hop pellets in the fermenter around day 4. No bag or SS thingy.

Edit: To the OP, I would say “yes” if you don’t rack to secondary. If you do rack to secondary, toss them hops in after racking. Cheers!

Last edited:
I have a rice-egg, something like a tea egg but a lot bigger, meant for cooking rice.
Fill with rice, throw in a pot with water, boil, take out and hang to drain. I never use it though, but would something like that be suitable for hops?
It's stainless steel, I think

I have a rice-egg, something like a tea egg but a lot bigger, meant for cooking rice.
Fill with rice, throw in a pot with water, boil, take out and hang to drain. I never use it though, but would something like that be suitable for hops?
It's stainless steel, I think
Yeah should be as long as it's a fine mash style should be good to go. But in the fermenter I let em loose just in the keg I've been using mesh hop ball to keep them contained.

I've never noticed a problem with a week or two of the hops being in there personally. I wouldn't leave them for a month or more but that's more paranoia than fact.
I left them for a month in a Fullers ESB and it was fine........probably not a good practice though.

Back