CO2 Pressure to Carb Coffee Porter

Craigerrr

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Kegged a coffee porter today, what should I set the pressure at to carb it up, don't want to over carb it...
TIA
Craigerrr

Kegged a coffee porter today, what should I set the pressure at to carb it up, don't want to over carb it...
TIA
Craigerrr
beer-carbonation-chart.jpg

This should help. Good chart for setting up kegs.

Thanks Bud!
I had it at 15# for about 16 hours, just turned it down to 5#, will leave it there and give it a try towards the end of the week

As the charts show the temp makes a big difference.
If you leave it at 15# it's a good excuse to test it sooner and more often;). You can always turn it down when it gets where you want it.

Ahhhh, okay, I will check fridge temp.

Further question on this then.
I am planning to do two brews in the near future on back to back days. Everyone enjoys my beer so much that I am having trouble keeping up...

If I don't have immediate fridge space when kegging, can I leave a keg at room temperature and carb it, then add to the fridge when space becomes available?

If so, how long can I leave a kegged batch at room temperature?

Thanks folks, still learning, always learning:D

It will take a lot more pressure to carb it at room temp. I'd carb it in the fridge and then take it out. Co2 goes in to solution much easier when the beer is cold.

I just kegged up a light coffee stout. I needed it to serve at a party and I kegged on Thursday at room temp ,hit it with 40PSI, rocked it around for a couple of minutes and put it in the kegerator to chill. Overnight it dropped to about 6 and I just held it there for another day. I. By Saturday evening It was just right and serving at around 8-10 psi to counter CO2 loss in the hose made it pour with perfect 1"+ head and carb level that was lively enough without being fizzy. Because it was force carbed quickly, the bubbles aren't as small and uniform as you'd like, but it'll settle in over the next week or so. It sat overnight with the higher pressure so today it's a little more lively but it hasn't absorbed too much and become overcarbed. I'll keep it right at 6 PSI at 36 degrees and it'll settle in very nicely.

Checked my fridge temperature, it is just a hair under 32F. So it was at 15# for 19 hours, then it sat at 10# for a little more than 1 day, just turned it down to about 3-4# now. Will let it ride for the week, and see what is like on the weekend.

Checked my fridge temperature, it is just a hair under 32F. So it was at 15# for 19 hours, then it sat at 10# for a little more than 1 day, just turned it down to about 3-4# now. Will let it ride for the week, and see what is like on the weekend.
download (1).jpeg

Checked my fridge temperature, it is just a hair under 32F.
That's pretty cold. Nice to lager that low but serving most beers between 36 and 40 should be good for most styles. Flavors disappear when it's near freezing. It's great for canned lawnmower beer right from the ice chest on a hot day but something you intend to enjoy the flavor of will do nicely with a little warmer temp.

I'm kegging a porter this weekend, dont quite understand , do I put it at the low pressure for several days or pump it high then drop it?

I brought my fridge temp up a bit to 34, have pressure set at 5#, tried a sample last night, getting carbed up a bit, but still a little ways to go, should be GTG in a few more days.
I like my beer cold, and tend to let porters and stouts warm up a bit in the glass.

I'm kegging a porter this weekend, dont quite understand , do I put it at the low pressure for several days or pump it high then drop it?
You can go either way, I normally set my hoppy beers at 30# for 2-3 days. With this porter I wanted to carb it up slow.

Depends how close you watch things and how much risk you're willing to take (It's not much really). Cause you can over carbonate with high pressure if you leave it to long, but it gets you carbonated much faster.

I generally do what Craigerr said about 30psi(ish) for a couple days and then I drop it down to 12psi. I keep my keezer at 3C with 10' of liquid line so 12psi seems to work for me.

Back