Boil Size

Craigerrr

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to post this, it isn't really a technical issue, more a question, but is a software question, not a brewing question.

Boil Size is a default setting that we enter a value for, as is batch size, but shouldn't boil size be a software calculation based on batch size and boil off rate?

It seems that the quick water calculator takes this default into account, but it is an arbitrary number that we choose. I am personally going to revisit my default setting for this. I think I currently have a number there that isn't jiving.

I target Batch size as Kettle so your mileage (or kilometerage if that's a word) may vary.

For my favorite pale ale recipe I end up with 8.25 gal in the kettle after mashing so; Boil size is 8.25 gal - 1.75 gal boil off = 6.5 gal in the kettle after boil. 5.5 gal goes into the fermenter because I leave 1 gal of trub behind. 5 gal goes into the keg because I leave .5 gal behind in the fermenter.

So Boil size is a function of boil off and what you want in the kettle after the boil.

Wasn't sure where to post this, it isn't really a technical issue, more a question, but is a software question, not a brewing question.

Boil Size is a default setting that we enter a value for, as is batch size, but shouldn't boil size be a software calculation based on batch size and boil off rate?

It seems that the quick water calculator takes this default into account, but it is an arbitrary number that we choose. I am personally going to revisit my default setting for this. I think I currently have a number there that isn't jiving.

Boil size you enter is an estimate. The water calculator will adjust for hop absorption, grain absorption and MT dead space with water to grain ratio. However at the moment the hop absorption is not listed in quick water requirements as it was before. A very small amount anyway but should be there.

Okay, so here is what I am getting at. Before I started using the Brewers Friend Quick Water Calculator I followed this math which I gleaned from a Mash Hacks video, and other research. This served me to learn how to go about determining total water volume. I learned that you start from the end, and work your way back to your preboil volume. Preboil volume should vary from recipe to recipe, but brewers friend has us enter a default amount. In this case with close to 10oz of hops, my preboil volume needs to be higher than a batch with 1oz of hops. When using my calcs below, I hit my volumes and numbers with consistency. I then started using the quick water calculator, and have been under volume, and over gravity pretty consistently.

So here is an example of a recipe that I packaged a half gallon less than planned, and my ABV was high on.
The quick water calculator tells me to use total water volume of 8.59 gallons, my calculator tells me to use 8.86. I measure out and treat my total water volume before I start my brew day.
I am going to brew this one again weekend after next using my water calculations and report back.

The recipe
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/723308/back-in-black-ipa

My water calcs, all volumes are in US gallons

BacK in BlacK Water calcs.JPG

Side note.
Had a hard time finding this post as I don't see the sub forum I initially posted in.
This isn't a n announcement or an update, if a mod would like to move this thread to another forum that would be good, maybe just let me know which one it is being moved to.
Cheers

Back