Looking for a recipe

KenK

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi folks. I'm looking for a recipe that will give me a beer with the following characteristics:
- a hint of sweetness
- middle of the road IBU's (30ish?)
- neither light and crisp nor heavy and thick
- reasonably highly carbed (2.5 vols; this is the easy part to adjust)
- ale, not lager
- 5-5.5 abv
Have any of you brewed something like this? I don't even know what style this would be.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Hi folks. I'm looking for a recipe that will give me a beer with the following characteristics:
- a hint of sweetness
- middle of the road IBU's (30ish?)
- neither light and crisp nor heavy and thick
- reasonably highly carbed (2.5 vols; this is the easy part to adjust)
- ale, not lager
- 5-5.5 abv
Have any of you brewed something like this? I don't even know what style this would be.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Sounds like a cream ale or lawnmower beer. Something that will please the pallet and relax the afternoon? I would say stick with 2row base malt with 10% victory or Vienna or Munich whichever flavor you prefer. Maybe a touch of honey malt or lighter crystal,40 or under for the sweetness. Then a hop you prefer as a simple bittering hop. This will keep it clean and uncluttered yet malt and hops will shine on their own without blaring.

Yep blonde ale/pale ale Headfirsts advice above sounds smack bang on the money.
Don't we all love them easy drinking smooth session beers pretty much the bulk of what I try to brew anyways.
Probably a bit light but here is a good one I made earlier this year.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/669154/lil-ale

Blonde Ale is your ticket. I do a basic blonde, usually with single hops and that, along with the yeast choice, sort of defines a lot of the flavor.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/426770/house-blonde
Sub any 2 row and any Pilsner. As Head First suggests, tweaking with a little Vienna or Honey Malt will give a little different character to it.

I'd lose the carapils and up the base malt accordingly. It's a little redundant since you have other crystal type malt. Between the 20 and the Victory you'll get plenty of dextrine for body and head retention.

Not to knock the cream/blonde ale idea, but you could also brew a tasty brown ale with those same parameters. Very similar to the other suggestions with a tad bit more maltiness.

Thanks B-P. I've never even had a brown ale (that I know of), much less brewed one. Maybe it's time I tried one. Do you have any favorite brown recipes?

I'd lose the carapils and up the base malt accordingly. It's a little redundant since you have other crystal type malt. Between the 20 and the Victory you'll get plenty of dextrine for body and head retention.
I was kind of wondering about that. I read a little about the crystal and carapils and thought they might do similar stuff. I guess I was adding the cara for head retention or something...

German brown (lager) or American brown (lager or ale, your choice)? Crystals are not appropriate in the German styles, they're designed to be very drinkable. American styles allow some crystal malts. Carapils is a crystal malt, just very lightly kilned, and not necessary if you use other Crystal malts in a beer.

Thanks B-P. I've never even had a brown ale (that I know of), much less brewed one. Maybe it's time I tried one. Do you have any favorite brown recipes?
This is one that, for lack of a better description, isn't very hoppy, sweet, or dry. The munich gives it a little sweetness, and the carafa adds a nice coffee-ish note without being too roasty. It's similar to a bock in flavor, with a little bit more esters from the English ale yeast.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/746915/brownies

Back