Maris Otter IPA

What hop(s) should Beer_Pirate use in an IPA?

• Cascade Only

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Centennial Only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Azacca Only

• MB Only

• Cascade + Azacca

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Other (response in thread)

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

Beer_Pirate

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm doing a single malt IPA with maris otter. I can't decide on the hopping. At my disposal I have Cascade, Centennial, Azacca, and Mandarina Bavaria. I'm leaning towards Cascade and Azacca, but all input/feedback would be appreciated.

Do you have your hop additions figured out?

I'm doing a single malt IPA with maris otter. I can't decide on the hopping. At my disposal I have Cascade, Centennial, Azacca, and Mandarina Bavaria. I'm leaning towards Cascade and Azacca, but all input/feedback would be appreciated.
It depends on what you like and/or the goal. A smash with a bittering forward hop profile and little flavor/aroma would feature the MO mashed @ 153. On the other hand, some people like less bittering and and more IBU contribution from flavor/aroma hops. Then there are English, West Coast, Double, etc styles. I like your leaning and expect you will get suggestions based on what others like.

For my taste, I would lean towards over 50% IBU contribution from Centennial @ 60, Azacca for flavor and aroma @ 15 & 5, and a good dose of Azacca and Cascade dry hops for 5 days (primary or secondary if you do that). 70 IBUs, 6.5 ABV, SO4:Cl 4:1, mashed @ 149.

Sorry for the long response. It will be nice to see the final product. Cheers!

I am not saying, "do it", but I have brewed a few Pale Ales recently with a mix of Cascade and Mandarina Bavaria (as well as just MB, MB + Comet and a mix of all 3).
I like the combination of MB with one or more "C" hops. MB alone is nice and fruity but tends to lack the citrus component, imo.
I am in fact drinking this (https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/732414/2018-11-gpa-74-real-2-) as I type, and really enjoying the balance the Comet and Cascade bring to the MB.
To make it a "proper" IPA, you would need to bump the IBUs a bit.

Last edited:

Back