Account for roasted pumpkin

royger

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm planning to do a pumpkin ale, and wanted to know how to account for the pumpkin addition. I've got 6kg of fresh pumpkin, which I've roasted and obtained 2,5kg of pumpkin puree. The fermentables selection only let me chose either fresh or canned pumpkin, but both seem to contribute equally to the gravity of the worth.

What should I select?

Thanks, Roger.

Hello,

I'm planning to do a pumpkin ale, and wanted to know how to account for the pumpkin addition. I've got 6kg of fresh pumpkin, which I've roasted and obtained 2,5kg of pumpkin puree. The fermentables selection only let me chose either fresh or canned pumpkin, but both seem to contribute equally to the gravity of the worth.

What should I select?

Thanks, Roger.
Either. Pumpkin is a very small contribution to overall gravity. Granted you boiled off some water through roasting - maybe double the contribution of sugars (still very small).

My approach to pumpkin in beer is to feed it to the bunnies. I can't tell that it adds anything except color.

It always sounds better than it actually is.

Not a fan of the pumpkin beers, having said that, if I am not mistaken, don't most of the traditional flavors come from cinamon, nutmeg, etc.?
For me the only place for pumpkin is in a pie, or a muffin, or a loaf, you get the idea.
I am sure you will get more helpful advice from other pumpkin ale lovers, hope it turns out well for you;)

Hello,

What should I select?

Thanks, Roger.
If there is no difference in gravity select either. Or there is custom fermentables but then you gotta know the PPG of the pumpkino_O. Good luck with it I hope it turns out well.

Not a fan of the pumpkin beers, having said that, if I am not mistaken, don't most of the traditional flavors come from cinamon, nutmeg, etc.?
For me the only place for pumpkin is in a pie, or a muffin, or a loaf, you get the idea.
I am sure you will get more helpful advice from other pumpkin ale lovers, hope it turns out well for you;)

Good point. I think a lot of people confuse the pumpkin spices with the actual pumpkin flavor. I recon the spices were added to help the subtle bland-ness that pumpkin has on its own.

Thanks for the feedback!

I've ended up brewing the following yesterday:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/755750/pumpkin-ale

The grain bill is based on leftovers I had which I wanted to get rid of. Not sure about the smoked malt, but I through since the pumpkin was also fire roasted the smoked malt wouldn't be the odd one out.

I don't expect the pumpkin to contribute to anything else but color, so I've added sweet orange zest (I might add more once fermentation is completed) and used Sorachi Ace to contribute to the citrus flavour. Fermenting with T-58 to also add some spice flavours, so kind of a mix between a pumpkin ale and a wit beer IMO. Let's see how that turns out.

On a side note, I've added the roasted pumpkin directly to the kettle and boiled for 60min without any bag. That was a bad decision, the bazooka filter in my kettle got stuck after draining 2l. I had to manually empty the kettle and use a mesh stainer. I hope I will be able to clean the bazooka filter :).

Back