About dry hops and pressure

xayz110

Trial Member
Reaction score
Does the pressure inside keg affect the effect of dry hops?

Probably not so much pressure, but temperature. The lower the temperature, I would suspect would slow down the extraction of flavor. Not a bad thing, but I don’t like to keep the dry hop in contact with the beer more than 3 days. But that’s at 65F. At 35F, I guess the contact time could be extended.

Are you dry hop’ing in the Keg? You’re going to have plugged beer lines if you do. It only takes a partial leaf from a hop to jam the poppet in the beer out post.

Probably not so much pressure, but temperature. The lower the temperature, I would suspect would slow down the extraction of flavor. Not a bad thing, but I don’t like to keep the dry hop in contact with the beer more than 3 days. But that’s at 65F. At 35F, I guess the contact time could be extended.
Right,I usually dry hops at 60F-65F;),but the next time,i want to dry hops with pressure at 60F-65F,i don’t know if it will be better to retain the aroma.

Are you dry hop’ing in the Keg? You’re going to have plugged beer lines if you do. It only takes a partial leaf from a hop to jam the poppet in the beer out post.
I want to prepare two kegs,one for dry hops with bagging ,another for force carbonization

I'm trying out dry hopping in keg on my latest two brews I'm using a stainless hop ball thingy but havnt packed it too full. In theory no aroma should escape if sealed in the keg. My fear is vegetable grassy flavours. Time will tell.

I'm trying out dry hopping in keg on my latest two brews I'm using a stainless hop ball thingy but havnt packed it too full. In theory no aroma should escape if sealed in the keg. My fear is vegetable grassy flavours. Time will tell.
the hops will expand twice its size once in the keg, and it wont be very effective too full

I think if the amount of dry hops is large, there will be grassy smell.Under normal circumstances, there should be no grassy smell.I will dry hop with pressure in keg as an experiment.:)

If I dry hop directly, I am worried that the hops will block the keg's pipe. I am going to put the hop into the bag.
Maybe not the pipe, but it doesn’t take much to get stuck in the poppet, and then it’s time to fix the problem without oxidizing the beer. Future tip.... The Gas line fits on the Beer post, so you can give it a good blast of CO2 to try and dislodge it. Works most of the time (not always) but the beer needs to settle for a while as the CO2 charge will stir things up.

Maybe not the pipe, but it doesn’t take much to get stuck in the poppet, and then it’s time to fix the problem without oxidizing the beer. Future tip.... The Gas line fits on the Beer post, so you can give it a good blast of CO2 to try and dislodge it. Works most of the time (not always) but the beer needs to settle for a while as the CO2 charge will stir things up.
thanks!

Back