Hop additions and when to add them?? Question

Joebo27

Trial Member
Reaction score
Id like to know when to add hop additions I'm new to this and don't fully understand when it says 60 min 45 min 15 min than 0 min well when the hell is 0 min added when it says 60 min do they go the whole boil just confusing to me

That's basically it yes, 60 minutes means if you boil for 60 minutes put them in right when it starts boiling. 0 means put them in when you turn the heat off, it's just for flavouring that will extract while you chill it down.

45 means with 45 minutes left, 15 means with 15 minutes left (So you've been boiling for 45 minutes). Etc...

Hope that helps.

Very much so thanks for clarifying that with me!

No problem. I remember looking at that and being confused as hell.

It helps if you picture your timer when you think of the hops.

When you start to boil, set your timer for 60 minutes. Each hop addition is listed at the length of total time boiled. So, when you set the timer, you see you have 60 minutes left, so you add your 60 minute hops. When your timer shows 15 minutes, you add your 15 minute hops, and so on. When the timer hits 0, you add your 0 minute hops (also called 'flame out' additions).

However much time is on the timer is when you add your additions, including whirlfloc or Irish moss finings if you are using them. Things like lactose or sugar are also added as timed additions, so it helps with all recipes to think of the timer when you are looking at the additions.

Hi everyone.
I am also a newbie in home brewing so i was wondering can anyone explain to me why do you put different (or sometimes the same) hops at a different time to boil?
Why dont just put it in all at once?

Hi everyone.
I am also a newbie in home brewing so i was wondering can anyone explain to me why do you put different (or sometimes the same) hops at a different time to boil?
Why dont just put it in all at once?
the longer hops are boiled, the more acids are isomerized in the wort, so the beer will be more bitter. But, the longer you boil, the more volatile oils are driven off, which means there's less aroma and flavor.
some styles / recipes have only one bittering addition at 60 mins, since hops don't play a big role in those beers.
some brewers use a relatively neutral hop like magnum to do the 60 min bittering addition, then different hops late in the boil (0-15 mins, or even after the boil) that are more flavorful and aroma-ful

I got this.... Ever cook? Do you detect a difference in, say, black pepper when you put it in while cooking as to when you sprinkle it on the finished dish? Same principle. You add hops at say 60 minutes, you're cooking the hops for an hour. This causes the alpha acids in the hops to change to iso-alpha acids, bitterness, while driving off essential oils, aroma. The less time you cook the hops, the less bitterness you get and the more hop flavor and aroma. The flavor and aroma contributions begin to become really important starting at around 20 minutes remaining. Aroma really starts to become an important contribution with a couple of minutes or even after shutting off the flame. So, like pepper, hops change as you cook them, hence the need for different times. You use different hops because they contribute different flavors or different amounts of bitterness.

Great info above, but to simplify for a fellow new(ish) Brewer...

Hops added at beginning of boil give mostly bitterness, very little flavor, and almost no aroma

Hops added in the middle of the boil will add mostly flavor, a little bitterness and a little aroma.

Hops added near, or at the end of the boil will add mostly aroma, a little flavor, and almost no bitterness

Hops added after the boil during cooling (whirlpool hops) add mostly aroma, maybe a little flavor, and almost no bitterness

Dry hops (during or after fermentation) add almost exclusively aroma.

Layman's terms

Cheers

Doing an extended boil at the moment on a coffee porter, so scratching my head a little as to when to add the flavor and aroma additions :D

Wow!
Thank you all for the answers.This vas very helpfull.Cheers!

Back