Odd question

PapaBear

Trial Member
Reaction score
Okay here's an odd question. Can you make a beer with NO hops? Not a Gruit, like with bittering herbs, but just malt and yeast, no hops or bitterings at all. Would it just be a sweet malty beer with no bitterness but also no preservatives or am I missing something/

Okay here's an odd question. Can you make a beer with NO hops? Not a Gruit, like with bittering herbs, but just malt and yeast, no hops or bitterings at all. Would it just be a sweet malty beer with no bitterness but also no preservatives or am I missing something/
Yes you can. You can brew anything with sugar in it. Dad used to use a can of Premier Malt, table sugar and whatever yeast was handy. We started buying him brewers yeast because bread yeast wasn't all that. Sometimes it was really good, sometimes not. But it made beer.

It will be sweet. And technically not beer, since beer contains hops. But you can brew it if you wanted to. Might not taste bad either. As long as your sanitation regimen is sound, and you drink it fairly quickly, it won't need the preservative properties of hops.

I do for a few of mine, but they've always got some acid producing bacteria to balance the sweetness.

It's probably not what you're looking for, but many sours use no hops. The berliner I brew has zero hops.

Back