Spring Citrus Citra Saison

Craigerrr

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I am planning my spring brewing schedule, and looking at some brews that are going to suit the season (or the hopes that winter will make an early exit...).

One I have my eye on and will definitely be brewing is the Tangerine Wheat by Head First, and will fit an Anchor Steam in as well.

This one also caught my eye, what do you guys think of this Spring Citrus Citra Saison by foxchainman?

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/395038/spring-citrus-citra-saison

I second Goschman's appraisal: Crystal doesn't seem to fit the flavor profile. Unless you're talking something very light and mild like honey malt. Saison is fermentation-driven. In the recipe you listed, replace the caramel wheat with wheat malt - you don't want the extra body from flaked wheat. I'd lose the whirlpool addition of hops - the beer should have some hop flavor but again, it's fermentation-forward. I'd also lose the protein rest - modern malts really don't need it unless you're using something under- or partially modified.

These are opinions you can consider or not: Instead of orange juice, use table sugar and orange zest. The amount of zest indicated is going to give you citrus soda rather than beer. I'd cut it at least in half - if not a fourth! You can always make a tincture and add at packaging but you can't take it out. I'd pick one fruit - probably not lime because that tends to be bitter to me - and use it as an accent to the beer. The amount of citrus in the recipe would dominate it. 5 minutes or even whirlpool are enough time.

Good luck with it!

Thanks guys, great input. I will make some mods to the recipe and repost it. I have no attachment to this recipe, honestly just thought it sounded tasty!

I personally wouldn't put any crystal malt in a saison.
I normally would agree, but given the nature of the beast here, it might work out to give a little extra body and some residual sweetness for the Citra to balance against. You've got low temp mash, juice for extra fermentables and citrus zest adding acid and bite. Maybe a smaller percentage, but a little might not hurt.

I normally would agree, but given the nature of the beast here, it might work out to give a little extra body and some residual sweetness for the Citra to balance against. You've got low temp mash, juice for extra fermentables and citrus zest adding acid and bite. Maybe a smaller percentage, but a little might not hurt.
Good point @J A . A touch of sweetness actually helps enhance citrus flavors. This back to personal preference, you may enjoy the citrus bite more, tart or dry but the beer will balance out better if smoothed out a bit. Kind of strange to talk balance with a yeast such as Saison but if you like pepper on your steak you need salt to help bring out full flavor of the meat so to speak. I like adding fruit to a Saison and that needs even a little honey malt to keep the yeast from overpowering it. To much does get cloying though.

To much does get cloying though.
Yeah...I think almost 10 percent in this recipe may get a little out of range, but maybe not. When I look back at my latest Saison recipe, I notice that I used 5% Caramunich and 5% Light Aromatic (Vienna/Melanoidin type malt). Since my apparent attenuation was 90%, it didn't have anything left to cloy with. :D

Any flavour/mouthfeel difference between a heavyish melanoidin malt that seems to appear in this role in European recipes rather than the light/medium crystal malt that appears in more Anglo recipes?

The Franco Belge Light Aromatic that I use doesn't have the sort of heavy, dark melanoidin flavor that I've encountered in other stuff. It really tends toward a very rich Vienna/malty sweetness that enhances the dry malt character of the Pilsner base malt that I use it with. I think it has a fairly similar impact to C-malts on residual sweetness and body due to extra dextrine in the mix. I've used some darker Melanoidin Malt, Weyerman, I think, that I didn't like at all...very heavy, inky flavor that I didn't feel made a good contribution and was less desirable in every way than standard Cara/Crystal malt.

Back