Yeast dilemma/decision, what say you?

Fat Woody

Premium Member
Reaction score
Greetings all, long time lurker, infrequent poster.

I need some advice on a yeast "situation" I find myself in. I brewed up a 6 gal batch of a Dubbel today just certain that I still had a couple sachets of Danstar Abbaye out in the fridge, but alas, I have only SO4, USO5, Belle Saison, Safale BE-134 (saison) and Danstar Munich, none of which seem a great substitute. Can anyone talk me into using one of these or should I just bite the bullet and wait until tomorrow to go source a proper Belgian strain?

Thanks!

If I was in your situation and I was confident about my sanitation, I would wait the extra day and pitch the proper yeast. No chill brewers can wait quite a long time before pitching with no ill effects, so I think you will be fine.

Greetings all, long time lurker, infrequent poster.

I need some advice on a yeast "situation" I find myself in. I brewed up a 6 gal batch of a Dubbel today just certain that I still had a couple sachets of Danstar Abbaye out in the fridge, but alas, I have only SO4, USO5, Belle Saison, Safale BE-134 (saison) and Danstar Munich, none of which seem a great substitute. Can anyone talk me into using one of these or should I just bite the bullet and wait until tomorrow to go source a proper Belgian strain?

Thanks!
Bite the bullet. I don't see any in your list that will produce the same results.

S04 or one of the saisons mixed with the Munich? You'll hate yourself in a few weeks though. One of those sliding doors moments...

If you were truly desperate, the BE-134 would be closest in character. The fruit and spice of the Belgian saison yeasts isn't the same as Trappist, but it should be better than the peppery French Saison yeast.
Assuming it's a full-strength dubbel you'll need more than one packet anyway.

If you were truly desperate, the BE-134 would be closest in character. The fruit and spice of the Belgian saison yeasts isn't the same as Trappist, but it should be better than the peppery French Saison yeast.
Assuming it's a full-strength dubbel you'll need more than one packet anyway.

I was toying with this for the longest time; I haven't used BE-134, but I think the flavor I'm looking for is very similar to the descriptors. Ultimately decided that it would end up over-attenuating what is probably already going to be a pretty dry dubbel. So I'm making a run to the LHBS for some Abbaye as soon as they open.

Appreciate the input!

Reactions: J A

Back