Show us your boil

I think it was Nosybear that mentioned that if you back off the heat when you are about to boil for a few minutes then crank the heat back on you won't boil over. I have found this works well. The spray bottle works good too though.

I think it was Nosybear that mentioned that if you back off the heat when you are about to boil for a few minutes then crank the heat back on you won't boil over. I have found this works well. The spray bottle works good too though.
I had to do it yesterday - worked like a champ (again). I'm using an induction cooktop so I simply shut it off for a few minutes, then turn it back on.

I had to do it yesterday - worked like a champ (again). I'm using an induction cooktop so I simply shut it off for a few minutes, then turn it back on.
With propane it happens pretty quick so I just hit the thick foam with a quick mist, reduce heat to the sweet spot and it settles right down.

Or do like me and turn your back on a 5 gallon batch and have it boil over a 16 gallon kettle cause you got distracted.

Or do like me and turn your back on a 5 gallon batch and have it boil over a 16 gallon kettle cause you got distracted.
What the! That must been one hell of a frothy hot break! I brew 21lt batches in 50lt keg and have never come near the top on hot break! Must have a kick arse burner...

Mine's 11 gallons, I had 7.5 gallons of wort in it and very nearly had a wet cleanup to contend with. LOTS of protein in that malt!

Here's a shot of the hot break and one early boil, right after the 60 minute hop addition. About 40F here, so lots of steam.
Hot Break.jpg

Boil.jpg

What the! That must been one hell of a frothy hot break! I brew 21lt batches in 50lt keg and have never come near the top on hot break! Must have a kick arse burner...

Yeah it puts out a hell of a lot of heat if I'm not paying attention.

Nice!
Thanks for sharing!

What cha' got hanging out of the pot there? What is that thing clamped to the edge?
That's my heating element. It is a Hotrod from Brewhardware.com
It goes back to my biab days and has worked so well I've never had a reason to change.

OK...Yeah, I think I heard a mention of those guys and some other no-drill accessories on somebody's podcast. Very clean!

OK...Yeah, I think I heard a mention of those guys and some other no-drill accessories on somebody's podcast. Very clean!
It's very simple and very effective and designed for the purpose. I'm thinking of moving on soon to an induction plate, but this setup has served me very well... especially for the $$.
I'm open to suggestions on induction burners!

I'm open to suggestions on induction burners!

I would go with the 240V induction and your going to need a magnetic kettle for it to work, those plates don't work worth a crap, I think Nosy just went through this

I would go with the 240V induction and your going to need a magnetic kettle for it to work, those plates don't work worth a crap, I think Noisy just went through this
Definitely run a dedicated 240 outlet as well. I ran one to my brewery last year, but we’ve enjoyed brewing outside with the Blichmann propane burner for almost 2 years now and just never purchased the induction plate. :rolleyes:

I would go with the 240V induction and your going to need a magnetic kettle for it to work, those plates don't work worth a crap, I think Noisy just went through this
Correct. Use 240 for your boil kettle, a 3500 watt unit. It'll bring eight gallons of wort to a boil fairly quickly (around a half-hour). I have an 1800 watt side unit for heating smaller amounts but it will boil five gallons of wort fairly well. Your kettle has to be induction-ready, meaning that a magnet will stick to the bottom. You really don't need the thick clad bottoms - I have a single-wall stainless kettle that works just fine - but they're nice for more even heating.

There's a good article on going to induction heating in either Zymurgy or BYO, I think it may be outside the paywall, that you can find by googling. I'm very happy with the switch because now I can brew completely inside, no dealing with the Colorado winds any more.

Back