100% weyermann pilsner

bitter with Magnum
2 oz HM at 2 minutes
2 oz Loral DH - never used before

40 IBUs
modified yellow bitter water with about 135 ppm SO4
5.2 mash pH
2 packets M76 yeast - first time using in this recipe

Any thoughts? Never used Loral before but I think it will fit nicely based on beers I have had with it. I have brewed this before but with switching out the DH varieties with Mandarina once and Huell Melon once. So far I prefer the Mandarina. I want to trying Hallertau Blanc soon and eventually just do a HM version.

modified yellow bitter water with about 135 ppm SO4
Modified yellow bitter water? :p
Recipe's fine. I don't know Loral hops so can't help you there. I prefer the classics in my Pilsners....

Pilsner is all about process. It's hard to predict the outcome from just the recipe. And I see you're in Lakewood. I'm in Aurora....

Modified yellow bitter water? :p
Recipe's fine. I don't know Loral hops so can't help you there. I prefer the classics in my Pilsners....

Pilsner is all about process. It's hard to predict the outcome from just the recipe. And I see you're in Lakewood. I'm in Aurora....

Yep we went back and forth about breweries a bit.

I have learned not to call it a 'German Pilsner' since I don't follow German procedures however it is a German influenced, lazy American styled pilsner. Previous version have turned out well so I don't see any reason to adjust my procedures at this point.

Nail it and it will give you alot of assurances with your brewing practices.

Yep we went back and forth about breweries a bit.

I have learned not to call it a 'German Pilsner' since I don't follow German procedures however it is a German influenced, lazy American styled pilsner. Previous version have turned out well so I don't see any reason to adjust my procedures at this point.
I'm still wondering where you get that modified yellow bitter water - Lakewood's water isn't THAT bad.... ;-)
I do a similar thing I call a "German-American Pale Ale". Comes out pretty danged close to a Pilsner, too!

I'm still wondering where you get that modified yellow bitter water - Lakewood's water isn't THAT bad.... ;-)
I do a similar thing I call a "German-American Pale Ale". Comes out pretty danged close to a Pilsner, too!

The water seems to do very well for balanced amber colored beers without too much adjustment.

Referring to modifying the "yellow bitter" water profile from Bru'n Water. I think that profile uses around 100 ppm SO4. I bump it up a bit to get more bite per my preference. I normally use Gypsum, Calcium Chloride, and lactic acid to adjust my water.

Last edited:
I did a Loral Smash and was pleasently surprised. All Golden Promise, 35 IBUs, moderate sulfate, low chloride, all Loral hops, no dry hop. Aroma and flavour are subtle/mild: plenty of floral, light/faint citrussy notes, some soft earthiness. Overall, a very pleasent hop for anything not an IPA or heavily hop loaded. It can possibly work in IPAs, but it will not shine, unless you use a lot. And as a downside, it is expensive. I used 9 oz crop 2017 and I was pleased.

I did a Loral Smash and was pleasently surprised. All Golden Promise, 35 IBUs, moderate sulfate, low chloride, all Loral hops, no dry hop. Aroma and flavour are subtle/mild: plenty of floral, light/faint citrussy notes, some soft earthiness. Overall, a very pleasent hop for anything not an IPA or heavily hop loaded. It can possibly work in IPAs, but it will not shine, unless you use a lot. And as a downside, it is expensive. I used 9 oz crop 2017 and I was pleased.

I found it super cheap. Think it was $1.25 fro two ounces. Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like it will meet my expectations.

Back