Competition Category Help

Iliff Avenue Brewhouse

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I have what I am calling a 9.5% ABV Imperial Porter with cinnamon, cocoa nibs, and vanilla that I would like to enter in a comp. Would this simply go in the Spice/Herb/Vegetable Specialty Category?

Yeah...That seems to be a sort of a catch-all category to some extent but there's no category of Porter or Stout that includes often-used adjunct ingredients like coffee, chocolate, spices, vanilla.
Good luck with it! :)

I have what I am calling a 9.5% ABV Imperial Porter with cinnamon, cocoa nibs, and vanilla that I would like to enter in a comp. Would this simply go in the Spice/Herb/Vegetable Specialty Category?
Yep. The only time you would enter a spiced/herbed/etc. in its original category is if the spice/herb/etc. is light enough that it can't be identified. A bit of cocoa nibs in a Porter might be acceptable if you couldn't taste it. I've made Patersbiers with a tiny amount of cinnamon and nutmeg, people could tell there was "something" but couldn't identify it. I'm assuming that you want to taste your blend of spices? If so, spice/herb/vegetable is your category.

Yep. The only time you would enter a spiced/herbed/etc. in its original category is if the spice/herb/etc. is light enough that it can't be identified. A bit of cocoa nibs in a Porter might be acceptable if you couldn't taste it. I've made Patersbiers with a tiny amount of cinnamon and nutmeg, people could tell there was "something" but couldn't identify it. I'm assuming that you want to taste your blend of spices? If so, spice/herb/vegetable is your category.

Even if the spices, etc weren't noticeable this wouldn't fit into a standard category. Close to a RIS but not roasty enough. The cinnamon is very present at this point but while the vanilla and nibs are very complimentary. It will have an additional 6 weeks of age on it before the comp so I will probably just have to taste it to see where it's at.

Now I'm caught up in what base style to put since Imperial Porter isn't a style. Is that just to give them a better understanding of what I was shooting for?

I've had a lot of problems with these styles of beer. I continuously put them in what judges say is the wrong category.

It's a tough call. Check the style guidelines to see if spices are appropriate and at what level. Example: We were doing Belgians in our BJCP training last night, a style lots of brewers want to spice. In general, the guidelines stated low levels of spices were not required but appropriate, as long as they complement the flavors of the beer. The only style I can see that mentions "Imperial Porter" is Baltic Porter, spices are not appropriate in that style. You may be thinking of 20C, Imperial Stout, but again, spices are not really appropriate to that. So 30A is about the only place I can find for it if you're going to make the spices noticeable. You may be able to enter this as a Fall or Winter Seasonal as well, check the description and see if your beer fits.

It's a tough call. Check the style guidelines to see if spices are appropriate and at what level. Example: We were doing Belgians in our BJCP training last night, a style lots of brewers want to spice. In general, the guidelines stated low levels of spices were not required but appropriate, as long as they complement the flavors of the beer. The only style I can see that mentions "Imperial Porter" is Baltic Porter, spices are not appropriate in that style. You may be thinking of 20C, Imperial Stout, but again, spices are not really appropriate to that. So 30A is about the only place I can find for it if you're going to make the spices noticeable. You may be able to enter this as a Fall or Winter Seasonal as well, check the description and see if your beer fits.

Thanks. At this point, I can't really see it anywhere else other than 30A. I can re-evaluate if the beer changes drastically in 6 weeks.

Back