Old enough to remember??

Medarius

Trial Member
Reaction score
So, spent the last couple days on hobbybrauer.de and reading all that german got me to reminiscing
about way back days and the first beer I ever liked. Back when it was ok for gramps to give lil ones a sip of beer. :D My granddad let me have some of his Hamms. I had tasted beer before, PBR and Bud from my dad, but didn't like them. Hamms, however was the first time I thought, maybe I could drink this stuff.

Anyone else remember Hamms beer, they had a big bear as mascot. Or was that a north central US beer not available everywhere?

We had Hamms in California. It was one of those beers we could collect pennies for and have a party when I was in high school lol. From the land of sky blue waters

I lived near Chicago for a few years - I can't hear "Hamm's" without that damned jingle playing in my brain!

Just like @ChicoBrewer I collected many couch cushion coins for a nights worth of Hamms here in Colorado. However, Huber was usually our go to cheap stuff.

Yep, the old Hamm's bear. Remember it well. I was raised in San Francisco and remember one of the older guys in the neighborhood used to go to the brewery and get cases of Hamm's that had some underfilled cans in them for $3, IIRC. The brewery was a landmark with a giant glass sign that filled with yellow lights and white ones for foam at the top. From even 2 or 3 blocks away it looked pretty real.

A few years later when we were building hot rods there was an old Swede who owned a welding shop and did custom work work for us. He had one of the old Coke machines filled with cans of Hamm's. Think it was a quarter for a can. Needless to say, we often waited instead of dropping things off.

HAMMS.jpg

Hamms-at-night.jpg

Y

A few years later when we were building hot rods there was an old Swede who owned a welding shop and did custom work work for us. He had one of the old Coke machines filled with cans of Hamm's. Think it was a quarter for a can. Needless to say, we often waited instead of dropping things off.
Reminds me of having a beer vending machine, in break room of feed mill I worked at in Germany. If you tried that in US half the workforce wouldn't make it back to work after first break. :)

Reminds me of having a beer vending machine, in break room of feed mill I worked at in Germany. If you tried that in US half the workforce wouldn't make it back to work after first break. :)
LOL. We had one in the barracks at Nas Jacksonville when I was in the navy. I hadn't thought of that in years...

My first real beer was Pilsner. Literally what it's called out of I think Saskatchewan, it's farmer beer if there is such a thing here.

I didn't like beer for a long time, then someone in college handed me a Sleemans Honey Brown. It actually tasted good! That sent me down this dark dark path. ;)

Budweiser always tasted like yeast to me.

I got into a bunch of Rainier Beer ads a while back. I bet you could find some of the Hamms Beer ads too. Some were pretty funny if I remember right.

You can find them on YouTube

Just got reminded of Scots Buy beer. For the extremely cheap with no taste buds. :))
And lets not forget Shlitz,

Just got reminded of Scots Buy beer. For the extremely cheap with no taste buds. :))
And lets not forget Shlitz,
And then, there was the brief, undignified career of generic beer...

I still love an ice cold Schlitz or Old Milwaukee. And when I go back to Texas I usually have two requests...Pearl and Whataburger!

Back