First Brewday

Youngster

Trial Member
Reaction score
After sourcing almost everything for the last year roughly, we finally did our first brew on Dec. 15th. We brewed @stikks Vanilla Cream Ale to start off.

We only had one major issue, our false bottom wasn't sitting level, therefore letting grains get past and clog our pump took about 30~40 mins to get no grains through it.

We ended up getting 1.052/1.053 OG, FG 1.008 for the past 3~ days. We forgot to add Honey at flame out, also used dry yeast as we didn't make a yeast starter ahead of time. We had the equipment but didn't think we'd be brewing as early as we did.

During fermentation, we gradually increased the temperature from 62f to 72f.

Our counterflow wort chiller, didn't work as well as we'd thought, especially up here in Canada when our ground water is cold. probably hooked it up wrong? Not sure on that one, may do some testing with just some hot water and see if we can get it to chill properly..

We also didn't have an oxygen tank/regulator to aerate the wort, luckily fermentation still took off. We also still need to get Co2, hopefully somewhere will be open near us to get it filled so we can dump and cold crash.
iaoX8BI.jpg
tQlpxIv.jpg
b8c1lTw.jpg
DUtZPlq.jpg
Y5Wj2yy.jpg
mDjdjZ1.jpg

What a brew house, maybe someday I will win a lottery and be able to build something like that. Oh wait, do I have to buy a ticket to win?? never mind then

And another one falls down the rabbit hole with us! Don't worry about the small stuff but make a list of what you need and what you forgot. Keep lots of records and notes so in a couple of years you can look back at this and chuckle as an experienced brewer at your oopses. Sounds like you will have beer. Great job!

All I can say is that you have a helluva lot more patience than I do. Carefully plotting and planning and spending and building for a year before your first brew is something I could never pull off. I started with whatever I could lay my hands on and steadily progressed to better equipment, bigger batches and more pro-level process.
Good luck with it! :)

And another one falls down the rabbit hole with us! Don't worry about the small stuff but make a list of what you need and what you forgot. Keep lots of records and notes so in a couple of years you can look back at this and chuckle as an experienced brewer at your oopses. Sounds like you will have beer. Great job!

Haha, yea. I plan on making lots of notes. Pretty excited to try different recipes then start tweaking slowly myself.

All I can say is that you have a helluva lot more patience than I do. Carefully plotting and planning and spending and building for a year before your first brew is something I could never pull off. I started with whatever I could lay my hands on and steadily progressed to better equipment, bigger batches and more pro-level process.
Good luck with it! :)

Trust me, patience was extremely hard during this, however very rewarding. We should have everything we need for this next brew this weekend coming up!

Nice system! Congrats on that first brew.
Wowie Nice setup there!

Thanks guys! More brews to come!

Back