Good beer for spicy food

Danr

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys ,

I’m looking to create a recipe that would accompany spicy food as I like to cook curries for my family. I’m a newbie when it comes to home brew so any suggestions or pointers for a starting point would be greatly appreciated, then i can adapt and learn along the way.

Thanks in advance for any help
Dan

A sweet, strong brown ale works nicely.

Thanks for the suggestion, i will take a look

A lager with a little body, well carbonated, flavor neutral (ie not big on pilsner or vienna) but malt forward, hop bittered but not much hop flavor or aroma, served COLD.

Mexican beers are virtually all Vienna lagers with corn adjunct and they wash down spicy salsas and moles just fine. The sweetness is usually complimented with a little sqeeze of lime. Thai and Indian restaurants sell their national exports like Singha and Kingfisher and those are straight up lagers, usually made with rice. Malty and slighty sweet is your friend but anything too cloying won't be as enjoyable. I wouldn't argue with a good malty brown ale.
Nothing too hoppy or bitter, necessarily, but there's a time and place for a little hop bite, too. Maybe with a big ol' rich and spicy etouffe or jambalaya.

I agree with the lager idea. It’s not the easiest to pull off a good lager, but a Kolsch is a great compromise. My favorite yeast is Wyeast 1007 fermented at 52F, but 34/70 fermented at 62F or so is very nice too. Both yeasts are very forgiving and you can be drinking it in 3 weeks or less.

Yep it's gotta be light a refreshing when your mouth is on fire.

I agree with the lager idea. It’s not the easiest to pull off a good lager, but a Kolsch is a great compromise. My favorite yeast is Wyeast 1007 fermented at 52F, but 34/70 fermented at 62F or so is very nice too. Both yeasts are very forgiving and you can be drinking it in 3 weeks or less.
+1 on the Kölsch. Easier and less fussy than lagers, but so crisp and refreshing, they'll easily settle a curry burn without competing with the flavor or bloating you up.

Asian rice lager clone, or something Belgian, low ABV and highly attenuated like a wit or single. Session saison even.

I find Belgian witbiers are a good match for a spicy curry.

Back