What's your New Year's Brewing Challenge?

FedoraDave

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I try to create a new brewing challenge each year. One year I investigated different hop strains, and got some great ideas on using unfamiliar strains and combining strains for new recipes and to boost the hop profile of existing recipes.

Last year I challenged myself to try new techniques, and came up with a nice sour beer using acidulated malt instead of Brett or Lactic acid, and I smoked my own malt for a great smoked amber ale.

In 2019 I intend to concentrate on Belgian styles. I haven't really investigated the world of Dubbels, Tripels, and Trappists. I always enjoy researching styles, and I'm looking forward to challenging myself with these awesome historic beers.

What will you be concentrating on?

Great topic!

The biggest challenge for me in 2019 will be attaining brewing consistency.

My last two brews were all grain. My very first brew was an extract kit this past February, followed by 11 BIAB brews.

I will also be continuing to educate myself, and upgrade equipment as I go.

A huge thank you to all of the great folks here on BF for the help and patient support along the way.

I just wired up another freezer for layering, so in 2019 I'm go na brew some lager. Probably brew 150 gallons of ales this past year. Ready for to add to my experience...cheers

I just wired up another freezer for layering, so in 2019 I'm go na brew some lager. Probably brew 150 gallons of ales this past year. Ready for to add to my experience...cheers
Lagering not layering...dam auto type

2019 will be a continuation of my pursuit of the ultimate big beer.I really like Narwal so i will use the recipe @ChicoBrewer has graciously shared.
Will be working on gathering up equipment to eventually go electric but not sure if it will be done this year. Need to try and stay under a budget.:confused:
I allways say that but it never works;).

I'll brew Lagers in 2019 and will take part in my first homebrewing competition.

I will continue treating my water, adjusting pH in the mash, kettle - pre and post boil, playing with hops, yeast and malts. I will start playing with spices and fruit. I also want to brew 35 batches / 210 gallons next year, from only 31 this year.

I'll brew Lagers in 2019 and will take part in my first homebrewing competition.
Nice! I like entering competitions, too. I've won a couple of third place ribbons; one for my very first lager, an Amber Lager, and another this past autumn for my smoked Amber Ale.

And while getting a podium spot is very satisfying, and gives you some street cred and bragging rights, the comments from the judges are not only an education in themselves, but they can really make you feel great. Having a judge write "Nice job!" kept my head in the clouds for months. And with my smoked Amber, one of the judges said the base recipe seemed better than most commercial beers. That really made my day!

Seems that a theme among some is emerging, and I will add on to that. I have three main goals:
  1. Be more consistent with my "core" brews
  2. Enter more competitions -- I only entered one last year, and while I didn't place, I did make final table and received a note on my scoring sheet that I very nearly placed. The only thing that kept me from it was that in my haste, I over-carbonated my keg and filling bottles from it led them to foam heavily. The result when opened was fairly flat.
  3. Brew more experimental brews -- I recently built a little 1 gallon test setup utilizing BIAB and a sous-vide stick. I would like to use this setup to try my hand at older/interesting styles and kettle sours.

I hate to because I'm dialed in very well but my goal is to cut my losses down to a the very minimum, meaning water waste, wort waste and time but keep producing the same flavor

also making my system a bit prettier

We completed our first year of brewing and made ninety eight gallons. We had a big crowd over for Christmas Eve dinner and our home brew was a major hit with the guests. We are encouraged and hope to tighten up our fermentation practices and attempt some lagers. We also grew some hops and used them in three batches. A big thank you to this forum for the help and encouragement.

My challenge to myself follows one of the common themes here: make the same recipe taste identical batch after batch. I'm always "tweaking this" or "tossing some of that in there" so it'll be nice to hone in on my core recipes.

Back