Small Batch Brewing..

Curly73

Trial Member
Reaction score
New to site and haven't brewed in years. I will be doing small batch brewing in the size of 1 gallon to 3 gallon on my stovetop as a Biab style. With that being said, how do I scale down recipes from 5 gallon recipes to 1 to 3 gallon? if that's even possible on here. sorry if this is dumb question but looking around for an hour and cant find anything on this. thanks

first welcome to the site
copy the recipe, go to edit mode, top bar recipe tools, scale, new batch size

Reactions: J A
wow that was easy. thanks for your help Ozarks mountain brew !!

We live to assist. I need to try it myself, I want to make some experimental brews but I don't want to make a full kegs worth.

We live to assist. I need to try it myself, I want to make some experimental brews but I don't want to make a full kegs worth.
I've found three gallons to be a great size for experimentals. That way I have enough to try, not so much that I can't dump it, and can see how it ages. I do some one-gallon extract batches to test ingredients but that's not what we're talking about in this thread.

I've found three gallons to be a great size for experimentals. That way I have enough to try, not so much that I can't dump it, and can see how it ages. I do some one-gallon extract batches to test ingredients but that's not what we're talking about in this thread.
on the contrary to this, I do 2.5 gallon batches that fit excellently in 3 gallon glass carboys, and then cold crashing and fining lead to a yield of about 2.25 gallons, ideal for small batches in the 2.6 gallon torpedo ball lock kegs.

on the contrary to this, I do 2.5 gallon batches that fit excellently in 3 gallon glass carboys, and then cold crashing and fining lead to a yield of about 2.25 gallons, ideal for small batches in the 2.6 gallon torpedo ball lock kegs.
this sounds like the set up I will be needing.
that sounds like the route I want to take. I will be looking into the torpedo ball lock keg also. I have always bottled. I will be trying to brew over Christmas and New Years.

in my experience from using an electric coil stove when I started, to using an all in one electric brew kettle now, they both have a typical boil rate of 3 quarts per hour.

You can do BIAB full volume mashes, and if you squeeze the bag you can expect about 1 quart of losses to absorption. If you need to sparge to hit your boil size, do so. I always aim for a 3 gallon (12 quart) boil size, boil it down over the course of 1 hour to 2.25 gallons (9 quarts), and then I pitch 1 quart of starter or rehydrated yeast into the carboy to hit 2.5 gallons (10 quarts). Hope this helps.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/torpedo-ball-lock-kegs.html

Back