Steeping Grains Time field

AHarper

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
It would be useful to include a Time box for the Steeping Grains entry so it can be featured in the print out of the recipe details. Just a suggestion...

That doesn't come up in the brew sheet?

Hi Yooper. The time does come up in the Brew Log process - in mine it stated for 45 minutes - but it doesn't appear in the Editable Recipe view. Maybe it's not supposed to be changed - I don't know for sure - but I would like it appear in the Steeping recipe section so it ends up in the print out as detailed below.

I use the printouts in my Brewing logbook so it would stand out where it is relevant.

upload_2018-12-7_22-44-32.png

Thanks for that! One more request- can you also give a screenshot of the recipe view so I can see the differences? I'll put in a ticket for this once I fully understand the issue. Again, thank you!

Thanks for that! One more request- can you also give a screenshot of the recipe view so I can see the differences? I'll put in a ticket for this once I fully understand the issue. Again, thank you!

Hi Yooper,

Please see below the screenshots I believe you require:

The recipe I have designed where I use Steeping Grains in an Extract Brew is called Ancient Marina
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/713067/ancient-marina

1: The Recipe Steeping Section
upload_2018-12-8_17-45-36.png

2: Suggestion for Time Field
upload_2018-12-8_17-50-51.png

3: The Brew Steps
upload_2018-12-8_17-46-9.png

The following is from How To Brew. There it suggests a time of 30 Mins - Why does the Brew Steps process refer to 45 Mins? Is this set somewhere or just a default setting?

Can this be made to be adjustable i.e. either a directly editable box in the Steeping section of the recipe or, in the same section, a reference to a User Variable Option picked up from the profile?

==================================================================
Procedure:

The procedure is identical to that for extract brewing. However, the specialty grains will be steeped in the pot before the extract is added. The 3 gallons of water in the boiling pot is heated until it reaches 160°F +/- 10°. Then the grain bag is immersed in the pot for 30 minutes. The grain bag may be dunked and swirled like a tea bag during this time to make sure that all of the grain is wetted. Agitation will help to improve the yield.
==================================================================

Regards Alan

Golden promise isn't a steeping grain- it's a base grain, so that's why the 45 minutes. But it's weird that we don't have a steep time in there for the brewer. I'll put in a ticket.

Golden promise isn't a steeping grain- it's a base grain, so that's why the 45 minutes. But it's weird that we don't have a steep time in there for the brewer. I'll put in a ticket.

Ahh that makes sense. As it happens it was the only other grain I had at the time - other than Marris Otter - so in it went. It turned out a tasty beer in the end so no harm done but I will investigate further and tweak the grain next time. Thanks for the info and the whole application. My Christmas present this year is enough malt extract and grains to make about 6 batches (240 pints) which includes some nice German Red X and Amber malts so I will be having fun in the new year.
My next brew will probably be Tuesday now, as the weather is nasty here this weekend, and it is a Dublin style stout that I will try and photograph the process from start to finish so I can send in. I hope it turns out alright. Cheers.

Oh. While we are at it. How difficult would it be to add a Fermentable Type, such as Crystal or Base, to the Fermentables section in the Recipe View. This field can be brought in from the Fermentables Listing. I'm sure there is room to squeeze the value in if we push the PPG, L and Bill% values over a bit.
Just a suggestion - I keep comimg up with them don't I? LOL

upload_2018-12-9_15-14-40.png

Last edited:
When you use golden promise or maris otter, you steep those grains for 45-60 minutes at 150-155 or so, and it's a mash. So when you use those grains, you are actually doing a partial mash and can select partial mash for your recipe type.

Back