A test of cold brewing taste additives

strogermead

Trial Member
Reaction score
Before cold brewing rhubarb and strawberries with yeast and sugarwater, I would like to find the right amount of taste. Would cold brewing in plain water give the same taste results?

Stroger
Novice

Before cold brewing rhubarb and strawberries with yeast and sugarwater, I would like to find the right amount of taste. Would cold brewing in plain water give the same taste results?

Stroger
Novice
Uh, no. Fermented rhubarb and strawberries do not taste like the fresh versions. Make a small batch (a gallon/four liters) or less to see what you need to manipulate in the recipe.

You mean cold brewing apposed to pasturising id expect.the cold brewing what ever that is to retain more aromatics than pasteurized version as I'm sure the heat drives of some aromas flavours of the fruit.

Are you asking if you can just mix rhubarb and strawberry in with plain water to get an idea of what it will taste like? I'd say you might get some idea but likely not a great one, fermented fruits will give different taste although you might get an idea of the intensity.

If you're already only planning on making a gallon I'd just give it a go, see how it turns out, and then adjusting for next time. I'm still a little confused as to what you're asking but I don't know how you'd get a good sense of what it will taste like without going through the whole process.

Good luck with your experiment!

Thank you! I'm making mead, and thought rhubarb and strawberries would be a nice combo. Set on making all meads I can think of, I've made 23 this year alone, though 5 went down the drain. Having fun :)
If you are not having fun at a hobby, it is time to start a new hobby! Use your experience and keep good notes.

Back