Weizen/weissbier brewers?

Medarius

Trial Member
Reaction score
Went and purchased a few bags of grain to save myself the 150mile round trip to LHBS for next 6 months and as I was halfway home, realized I forgot to get Acidulated Malt. Any weizen/weissbier brewers know of a suitable substitute I can find at grocery/box store??

I use this in every Weissbier brew (only type of beer I make) and since they like a high ph (5.6+) during ferulic rest I found Acid malt is the easiest way for me to bring ph down at the end of mash.

Tips greatly appreciated
as always thanks in advance

Seems like you could order a few pounds and have it shipped. Might not be too bad, cost wise. Or order up some lactic acid. That would cost next to nothing to ship.
I wonder if you could kettle sour a batch of mash and dry it and make your own acidulated. Might have to do some trial and error to get your percentage where you want it.
Ordering the bottle of lactic is going to be the cheapest, easiest alternative. If you have acess to a supermarket with a really good health-food section you might luck out and find some.

Went and purchased a few bags of grain to save myself the 150mile round trip to LHBS for next 6 months and as I was halfway home, realized I forgot to get Acidulated Malt. Any weizen/weissbier brewers know of a suitable substitute I can find at grocery/box store??

I use this in every Weissbier brew (only type of beer I make) and since they like a high ph (5.6+) during ferulic rest I found Acid malt is the easiest way for me to bring ph down at the end of mash.

Tips greatly appreciated
as always thanks in advance
Use lactic acid (88% dilution). Pretty standard stuff, light weight, lots easier to ship than the malt. And I don't know if you can find it at a store but it could be shipped to you. Bonus: It's easier to add after the ferulic acid rest than the acidulated malt! If you're not Reinheitsgebot compliant, it's a lot easier and more portable than the malt.

Seems like you could order a few pounds and have it shipped. Might not be too bad, cost wise. Or order up some lactic acid. That would cost next to nothing to ship.

Use lactic acid (88% dilution). Pretty standard stuff, light weight, lots easier to ship than the malt. And I don't know if you can find it at a store but it could be shipped to you.

Thanks guys but if I am going to spend $10 on getting something shipped I can drive and get what I need for same. I get 45mpg so only cost me $10 bucks to drive and get what I normally use.

Bonus: It's easier to add after the ferulic acid rest than the acidulated malt! If you're not Reinheitsgebot compliant, it's a lot easier and more portable than the malt.

:D Not sure how anything can be easier than throwing 2-4 ounces of Acid Malt into mash tun at Beta rest. Reason I use AcidMalt is for ease of use. In my batches, I add 1 oz for each point I want to drop. Since I normally start around 5.6, I can add 3 oz to bring me to my target 5.3. Easy maths, easy adding.

If you're throwing the acidulated malt in at the end of your mash (I did read your post!), you're ending up with unconverted starches. I have to confess, I use acidulated malt in my grists, too, but I thought you were using it at the end of the mash to adjust pH.

What about citric Acid from the baking isle at grocery store? I'm sure the calculator should account for this maybe:rolleyes:.
There is citric and tartic acid probably the same thing. I know a recipies link previously in year from micro brewed had citric acid as their water acidification addition.

Not sure how anything can be easier than throwing 2-4 ounces of Acid Malt into mash tun at Beta rest
Acid malt is a vehicle for adding lactic acid. The suggestions to use packaged lactic are more direct. Takes up less space and lower weight for storage and shipping. Doesn't absorb wort and is better protected against moisture for shelf life. More precise measurement for pH control.

Not to mention the cool factor: Nosy to Grandson, I'm putting acid in my beer. Grandson freaks out....

:D Not sure how anything can be easier than throwing 2-4 ounces of Acid Malt into mash tun at Beta rest. Reason I use AcidMalt is for ease of use. In my batches, I add 1 oz for each point I want to drop. Since I normally start around 5.6, I can add 3 oz to bring me to my target 5.3. Easy maths, easy adding.
I totally agree about using the malt. The lactic acid is just a quicker, easier, cheaper alternative to driving to get some. It'd get you by until you can stock in some acid malt. I use it in ever batch.

Does local market sell citric acid? It won't have a purity number but a good ph meter is a handy thing to keep around the brewery anyway .
Before I bought one I'd use the water tester at my local swimming pool supply store.... Got some very strange looks from other customers when my " water sample " was jet black or bright red

Another vote for lactic acid here. It's just as easy to measure out a few ml of acid in a syringe as it is to weigh out grain. To each their own but I wouldn't say one is more convenient than the other.

Back