Hop Crop 2018

Just dried enough for entry in herbs at the fair. On the edge of ready but not that papery feel yet. Still bright green but great aroma drying. Looks to be a great crop.
20180903_110107_resized.jpg

Looks like the judges liked the Centennial hops too! There were lots of other herbs entered. Pretty happy with BEST OF DIVISION with dried herbs in culinary AND fresh herbs in horticulture! Can only enter 5 beers but got 2 firsts 2 seconds and 1 third. Haven't seen score sheets yet for beer.

View attachment 3826
Looks like the judges liked the Centennial hops too! There were lots of other herbs entered. Pretty happy with BEST OF DIVISION with dried herbs in culinary AND fresh herbs in horticulture! Can only enter 5 beers but got 2 firsts 2 seconds and 1 third. Haven't seen score sheets yet for beer.
Very nice! Congrats man, that's awesome!

Very nice! Never thought to enter hops as herbs.

Very nice! Never thought to enter hops as herbs.

Really the only catagory they fit in at this little fair. They were perfectly ripe out on the sunny corner.

Brewed a batch with my first home grown hops, centennials. I was going to try the Sierra Nevada Celebration recipe, but thought it might be better to use a single hop recipe, to see what fresh hops were like. I used the Bells Two Hearted Ale and left my fresh centennials in following the yeast pitch.
Hop fermenter.jpg

Brewed a batch with my first home grown hops, centennials. I was going to try the Sierra Nevada Celebration recipe, but thought it might be better to use a single hop recipe, to see what fresh hops were like. I used the Bells Two Hearted Ale and left my fresh centennials in following the yeast pitch.
View attachment 3846
Nice man! Can't wait to hear how it turns out. Those are some nice lookin lupulin nuggets!

Nice man! Can't wait to hear how it turns out. Those are some nice lookin lupulin nuggets!
Well, here is how it turned out. I ended up with enough hops for both the Bells's and a Celebration copy. Side by side with Sierra Nevada Celebration on the left and ours on the right. The home brew had a very close taste, but "fresher" . More aroma, perhaps. Now I need to find acreage...
Celebration Comparison.jpg

Well, here is how it turned out. I ended up with enough hops for both the Bells's and a Celebration copy. Side by side with Sierra Nevada Celebration on the left and ours on the right. The home brew had a very close taste, but "fresher" . More aroma, perhaps. Now I need to find acreage...View attachment 4445
You sure got the colour spot on!

Well, here is how it turned out. I ended up with enough hops for both the Bells's and a Celebration copy. Side by side with Sierra Nevada Celebration on the left and ours on the right. The home brew had a very close taste, but "fresher" . More aroma, perhaps. Now I need to find acreage...View attachment 4445
Very nice!

Back