Beer Priming Calculator - Quantify CO2 Volumes

AdelCity

Trial Member
Reaction score
Found this handy Calculator
https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

Talks about residual amount of CO2 in the beer at given fermentation temperatures. Which I am assuming refers to CO2 that has dissolved into the beer during primary fermentation. Even though the beer appears/tastes 'flat' there is still some CO2 that is present in a 'dissolved' state.

Most of us understand pressure as psi or Pa but this calculator uses the 'unitless' concept of Volume of CO2. It mentions various beers with Volumes ranging from 1.7 to 4.5
  1. Where would a CocaCola or Pepsi fit into this scale?
  2. At what VOLUME would you start to expect 'Bottle Bombs' ? {Noted that these can/do occur at any level due to flaws}
  3. Anyone have any indicators as regards to Apple Cider and CO2 Volumes?
  4. Maybe some of the 'keggers' could put a quantative value on VOLUME CO2 and Keg Pressure CO2?
None of this is crucial but it has aroused my curiosity and i would dearly love to get some feedback.
I am getting back into brewing after a 35+ year absence and I am overwhelmed by all the available knowledge out there these days. This FORUM is a gem !! Thanks.
Things have changed. It is now almost a science. Back in my time we used a plastic trash can {rubbish bin in Australia} with a lid as a fermenter. Could only buy one brand of Malt extract or hops and used table sugar.
No Brew stores around.... in fact brewing beer was illegal !!
Yet despite the 'Bottle Bombs' and Mould Outbreaks I occassionally managed to drink a few good brews.
Looking forward to some 'perfect' brews from here on in.

Our regular bottles are good for about 3-3.5 vols at minimal risk. A cola is likely on the high end of the range.

You should note that the temperature part of the equation should be pretty much ignored when it comes to standard operating procedure with homebrewing. Unless you do a lager and keep it pretty cold throughout it's fermentation right to the point that it's bottled, the residual CO2 will be minimal and insignificant.
The beer temp for the purposes of the calculator is the highest temperature that was reached during active fermentation.

Found this handy Calculator
https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

Talks about residual amount of CO2 in the beer at given fermentation temperatures. Which I am assuming refers to CO2 that has dissolved into the beer during primary fermentation. Even though the beer appears/tastes 'flat' there is still some CO2 that is present in a 'dissolved' state.

Most of us understand pressure as psi or Pa but this calculator uses the 'unitless' concept of Volume of CO2. It mentions various beers with Volumes ranging from 1.7 to 4.5
  1. Where would a CocaCola or Pepsi fit into this scale?
  2. At what VOLUME would you start to expect 'Bottle Bombs' ? {Noted that these can/do occur at any level due to flaws}
  3. Anyone have any indicators as regards to Apple Cider and CO2 Volumes?
  4. Maybe some of the 'keggers' could put a quantative value on VOLUME CO2 and Keg Pressure CO2?
None of this is crucial but it has aroused my curiosity and i would dearly love to get some feedback.
I am getting back into brewing after a 35+ year absence and I am overwhelmed by all the available knowledge out there these days. This FORUM is a gem !! Thanks.
Things have changed. It is now almost a science. Back in my time we used a plastic trash can {rubbish bin in Australia} with a lid as a fermenter. Could only buy one brand of Malt extract or hops and used table sugar.
No Brew stores around.... in fact brewing beer was illegal !!
Yet despite the 'Bottle Bombs' and Mould Outbreaks I occassionally managed to drink a few good brews.
Looking forward to some 'perfect' brews from here on in.

Sodas are highly carbed- for me, it's 30 psi at 39 degrees. I know that doesn't 'translate' well, but I love this force carbonation chart to help with typical beer serving pressures/psi:
carbonation_cart-1024x697-F.jpg

For most beers, I do 12 psi at that temperature (about 2.52 volumes). For sparkling water, I also do 30 psi so you can see that's over 4 volumes.

Most brewers don't think of volumes as 'unitless' as it's measured as volumes of c02, and we sort of get used to it.

For cider, I actually like mine either still (not carbed at all), or just about the same as beer. But other people actually like it very spritzy, champagne-like, at 4 volumes of c02. So that is really a matter of personal taste.

I learned PSI growing up and my gauge has PSI so that's what I used. None of the new fangled KPa stuff. I should just print that chart out and tape it to my keezer though.

Thank you one and all !!!

Very informative and extremely helpful.
I appreciate you taking the time to post some replies.

Thanks

Back