Fermentation, airlock, Final gravity issue

KKDawning

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
I have an issue with a cidar batch I am brewing now. It has been staying much longer than what stays in the recipe. It says 6 days for the bucket fermentation or until airlock stops bubbling, or until Final Gravity doesn't change for 2 days/48 hours. The problem is that FG has not changed for 3-4 days now but airlock still makes bubbles once after 2-3 minutes. So, it is not finished making CO2 as I understand but why the FG is not changing?
My question now: Should I bottle them? As the FG has been stable? How should I carbonate them? I have candy drops for carbonating and recipe calls for 2 drops in 750 ml bottles.

I've done 5 batches of cider so you can take this with a grain of salt but a bubble every 2 - 3 minutes isn't a lot of activity. That may just be CO2 from the fermentation leaving the cider. If the SG has stopped going down I'd call it done and bottle. What is the SG? It should be something ridiculous like < 1.

Can't help with the candy drops. When I was bottling my cider I would rack it to a secondary to get it off the yeast then add 1 1/2 cans of frozen apple juice (thawed) mix well and bottle. I back sweeten and keg now though.

HTH

Last edited:
The bubbles are likely just residual CO2 being released from suspension. If the gravity is at target and hasn't changed, it's almost certainly good and done.

Hi there,
I have an issue with a cidar batch I am brewing now. It has been staying much longer than what stays in the recipe. It says 6 days for the bucket fermentation or until airlock stops bubbling, or until Final Gravity doesn't change for 2 days/48 hours. The problem is that FG has not changed for 3-4 days now but airlock still makes bubbles once after 2-3 minutes. So, it is not finished making CO2 as I understand but why the FG is not changing?
My question now: Should I bottle them? As the FG has been stable? How should I carbonate them? I have candy drops for carbonating and recipe calls for 2 drops in 750 ml bottles.
If the FG is not changing, it's not fermenting. It may be giving off a bit of carbon dioxide but that's just gas coming out of solution.

I've used those carb drops, two for 750 ml sounds about right.

I've done 5 batches of cider so you can take this with a grain of salt but a bubble every 2 - 3 minutes isn't a lot of activity. That may just be CO2 from the fermentation leaving the cider. If the SG has stopped going down I'd call it done and bottle. What is the SG? It should be something ridiculous like < 1.

Can't help with the candy drops. When I was bottling my cider I would rack it to a secondary to get it off the yeast then add 1 1/2 cans of frozen apple juice (thawed) mix well and bottle. I back sweeten and keg now though.

HTH
Thanks for the answer. FG is around 1.020. As I know as it is mentioned in the recipe it should be around 1.002. The problem is that I added 25% more sugar to this batch ! So, it is not rare that gravity is higher also. Also it has been staying twice longer than what it should ! So, I guess I will go for bottling. Tell me if it is ok ! :))

The sugar would have lowered the FG if anything. What yeast did you use? (sorry if you gave the recipe)

I'd warm it up a bit, to ensure that it's done so that you don't end up with bottle bombs! 1.020 is very high, and it should be quite a bit lower than that, assuming it's under 15% ABV!

I'd warm it up a bit, to ensure that it's done so that you don't end up with bottle bombs! 1.020 is very high, and it should be quite a bit lower than that, assuming it's under 15% ABV!
It stays in a room with 22C degrees. I assume that it is warm enough !

It stays in a room with 22C degrees. I assume that it is warm enough !
I've bottled them. I hope they don't explode ! Should I degass one of them once just to see how much gas they are ccreating?

Won't hurt, or just get a rubbermaid tote and put them in it with the lid on. Safety first as they say.

It's all learning experience man. You're going to make a lot more beer so the odd screw up is only natural.

Won't hurt, or just get a rubbermaid tote and put them in it with the lid on. Safety first as they say.

It's all learning experience man. You're going to make a lot more beer so the odd screw up is only natural.
Thanks. I was actually thinking how to prepare something in case of explosion. rubbermaid tote is a smart solution. Thanks.

The sugar would have lowered the FG if anything. What yeast did you use? (sorry if you gave the recipe)
I am thinking maybe the yeast is not capable to handle the sugar I added to this batch. I mean after 3 weeks the gravity is still the same. And strangely, according my calculation, the ABV is exactly the same as what stands in the recipe. I mean with or without the extra sugar I added, I have around 5%. Is that right what I am saying? Which yeast do you prefer to use for ciders containing around 5%-7% ABV?

I am thinking maybe the yeast is not capable to handle the sugar I added to this batch. I mean after 3 weeks the gravity is still the same. And strangely, according my calculation, the ABV is exactly the same as what stands in the recipe. I mean with or without the extra sugar I added, I have around 5%. Is that right what I am saying? Which yeast do you prefer to use for ciders containing around 5%-7% ABV?
Any yeast should be able to handle that. If it's the same after 3 weeks, it's done. I've done ciders and expect an FG of around 1.000 from them. If you taste the cider, is it noticeably sweet?

Any yeast should be able to handle that. If it's the same after 3 weeks, it's done. I've done ciders and expect an FG of around 1.000 from them. If you taste the cider, is it noticeably sweet?
I will open a bottle to drink on Saturday or Sunday to see how it tastes. But they seem to be ok by now.

Back