help

moga

Trial Member
Reaction score
hello I m starting my beer kit its Belgian Triple and I have this ingredient for 5 gallons
7lbs Pilsen DME 60 minute boil
2lbs Corn Sugar 60 minute boil
1oz Tettnanger hops 60 minute boil
1oz Saaz hops 10 minute boil
the issue is should I boil the corn sugar for 60 min as it mention in kit details and should I add it with DME so boil together or as I remember boil sugar for 60 min and that's after fishing 2 week fermentation so you put sugar and then add the fermentation and quickly siphon it to bottles.
please explain.

also how many sugar should add to 5 gallons

I'd leave it out of the boil, create a simple syrup and add at high krauesen. That way your yeast won't eat up all the simple sugars and get too lazy to clean up the maltose.

You have a kit and instructions. Do what the instructions tell you to do. If you try to go beyond the instructions without gaining some basic knowledge about brewing, you may do something that makes your beer not work well.
The sugar that you should put in bottles is separate and different from the sugar that you've added to the beer during boil for fermentation. The Corn sugar that's included in the kit is provided to make the beer. Once the beer has fermented then a very small amount of sugar is added when the beer is put into bottles so that it will produce carbonation when it's sealed tightly.

Yeah if you put 2lb of sugar in and then bottled it you would end up with bottle bombs so definitely don't do that. Like JA said if the recipe says add the sugar to the boil you're best off just doing that this time around although what Nosybear mentioned would work great as well. Sugar is a fairly common ingredient in several Belgian styles as it helps give it a nice dry finish. Cheers!

Reactions: J A
You have a kit and instructions. Do what the instructions tell you to do. If you try to go beyond the instructions without gaining some basic knowledge about brewing, you may do something that makes your beer not work well.
The sugar that you should put in bottles is separate and different from the sugar that you've added to the beer during boil for fermentation. The Corn sugar that's included in the kit is provided to make the beer. Once the beer has fermented then a very small amount of sugar is added when the beer is put into bottles so that it will produce carbonation when it's sealed tightly.
so you mean you have to add sugar in every fermentation and mix it with yeast is this what you meant.
I really read a lot and there is no step like that maybe I misunderstand something in this step.

so I did not do that last night and after 12 hours I got airlock working fine so should I open it and add boiled sugar and close it or what you think.

IMG_0284 (2).JPG
View attachment 4364

I really read a lot and there is no step like that maybe I misunderstand something in this step.
I'm talking about the priming sugar in the bottles. All the sugar that they sent with the kit goes into the boil and is fermented in the fermenter. When the beer is finished fermenting, it's uncarbonated and has no "fizz". When it's put in bottles, a small amount of sugar (priming sugar) is added to provide a small amount of fermentation in the sealed bottle and that will provide the CO2 to give it carbonation. Sometimes kits come with special tablets to add to the bottles to provide the needed carbonation. I don't know what your kit provides.
If you've bought a kit and it comes with instructions, you should try to follow the instructions exactly in order to avoid any misunderstandings.

should I open it and add some sugar or leaf it

Okay...If you haven't used all the ingredients included in your kit in the boil pot, you should add the sugar. Without it, your beer will not be as it was intended. Only use the amount of sugar that was included in the kit.
If you boil it in a very small amount of water to dissolve it, be sure that you let it cool down to the temperature of your beer before you add it to the fermenter. Hot temperatures will kill the yeast.
After about 10 days or maybe 2 weeks, you'll have to transfer your beer to bottles. That's when you'll need to do some research about priming sugar. For now just add what came with your kit and let it sit undisturbed for a while.

LMAO:p:p!
I want to see a shot of the airlock once fermentation is done:D!
Heck I'm going to try this on my next brew for sure awesome stuff!​

its not instruction this is in the website if you choose the kit the details tell you ingredients and some hint .
you can all look at it here is my kit http://www.ritebrew.com/product-p/851108.htm

I would think you would get instructions included with the kit when it shipped to your house.

Think of sugar as something that can be added for 2 main purposes:

1) Fermentable sugars
In this case, the 2lb of sugar from your recipe is meant to be part of the fermentable sugar along with the sugars from the Pilsen DME available to your yeast during fermentation. Sugar is not called for as part of the fermentables in all recipes but using some type of sugar is common when brewing a Tripel (as well as several other styles). Add it now.

2) Carbonation
As JA mentioned the sugar you'll put in when it's time to bottle (priming sugar) is a very small amount which is then immediately sealed into bottles. The purpose of this is to carbonate the beer. You'll want to use an online calculator to figure out the amount to add based on the volume of beer, temp of fermentation, and desired level of carbonation. Here's a good one: https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

I would also highly recommend looking through http://www.howtobrew.com/ or even better, find someone with experience (friend or brewing group) that can help you in person if possible. We're all happy to continue helping you too but it can be easier to learn from someone who has experience directly. Good luck Moga!

Back