Liquoring back hyrdometer readings

Mumbles

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So I've just brewed up a nice pale ale and liquored back but I'm getting a much higher gravity than expected. I'm wondering if it may be due to taking samples from the fermenters tap where the liquids density might be higher if the added water hasn't fully mixed with the wort? Any suggestions how to get an accurate reading?

Extract or Grain? What was the expected vs actual OG? How long after you added the dilution water did you take your sample?

I believe it usually mixes pretty quickly but if you think it may be an unequal density from the sample, you could always give it a stir with a sanitized spoon or a shake and try again.

Reactions: J A
Show us the recipe. When it comes to gravity, there's always a mundane answer. ;)

So I've just brewed up a nice pale ale and liquored back but I'm getting a much higher gravity than expected. I'm wondering if it may be due to taking samples from the fermenters tap where the liquids density might be higher if the added water hasn't fully mixed with the wort? Any suggestions how to get an accurate reading?
Given your hypothesis, stir it and see what happens.

Hey guys, sorry for the delay... I think all it came down to was that I intended to add 40 Litres into 190 litres of wort to get up to 230 but couldn't actually fit all that into my fermenter so the dilution was wrong for my target gravity.

Here's the recipe with target OG of 1.052. I actually got 1.057. but I had already pitched the yeast in the top so I was reluctant to stir, instead I took another reading the following morning hoping that the liquid would have mixed up better and I got a reading of 1.055 which was a bit closer to target.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/734829/larrikin-session-pale-3

It's almost always a volume discrepancy when the gravity is substantially higher than expected. Occasionally efficiency will jump and account for several points, but in partial boil batches, it's the top-up that's off.
It's not very likely that the gravity was actually lower but that the sample was less because it was taken after the yeast had started to work and had consumed some of the sugars.
PS, stirring or agitating after the yeast is pitched is actually a good thing, as long as everything is kept sanitary.

Back