lager

Tdog91

Trial Member
Reaction score
beginner brewer here. how do i know how long to lager at what temps when the recipes don't say. maybe a stupid question. but thanks anyways

Some brewers confuse the term lagering, thinking that it refers to low-temperature (48-54 F or so) fermentation. It just means holding your finished beer at very low temps for a period of time while it gets clear and clean in flavor.
If you mean fermentation temps, refer to Ozark's question. If you mean lagering to clear after fermentation, 2-3 weeks at 33 degrees or so will do it for most beers fermented with lager yeasts. You can use gelatin and clear it much quicker.
Also, whether it's extract or all grain matters, too.

I ferment lagers at 60 to 65F just like a normal ale but then lager in the keg at 34 for 2 weeks

I lager at room temperature sometimes, but usually just keep it someplace cool and dark. Your definition of cool and mine may vary but under 15C is pretty safe.

I ferment at 48° using 34/70 yeast ( usually ). Then i lager ( cold storage )at 32° for 3 weeks after which I begin drinking it. Sometimes i will let it lager longer.

I ferment at 48° using 34/70 yeast ( usually ). Then i lager ( cold storage )at 32° for 3 weeks after which I begin drinking it. Sometimes i will let it lager longer.
How long does it generally take the 34/70 to finish at 48?

Lagering means storing the beer as close to freezing as possible for an extended time. Light lagers (helles, Pilsner) usually need about a month. A Bock or a Baltic Porter might need three months or more to finish.

I recently did an Octoberfest with 34/70 with the temp in the chest freezer set to 48. It finished attenuating sometime between my day 11 sample of 1.011 and my day 21 sample of 1.009. Packaged at just over 3 weeks and it cleared in the keg another 2 weeks before it was proper.

Everyones process is slightly different, i ferment until it reaches 6 point above final gravity, the i transfer it to a keg for spunding( the beer finishes fermenting and it carbonates itself in the keg at the same time ) but you need a pressure relief valve so your keg doesn't over pressurize, i set mine to 15lbs.

Once final gravity is reached approximately 6 to 7 days in total from pitch to finish, i then lower my temperature to 32° and let it lager for a minimum of 2 weeks for better results allow it to sit longer.

Reactions: J A
I too am new to lager beer types. I pitched a Wyeast 2124 at 60F where it sat for 30 hours and did begin working. I then placed in my garage at 50F where I plan to keep it for three weeks. I then thought a day or 2 at 60+ and bottle. I am not sure that is the proper way. Seems I am missing the coldness. I can get the temp down to about 40F. Thoughts?

Will do for a starter! At 40 degrees your beer will lager quicker but not as cleanly, at least that's what the beer lore says.

I too am new to lager beer types. I pitched a Wyeast 2124 at 60F where it sat for 30 hours and did begin working. I then placed in my garage at 50F where I plan to keep it for three weeks. I then thought a day or 2 at 60+ and bottle. I am not sure that is the proper way. Seems I am missing the coldness. I can get the temp down to about 40F. Thoughts?
You're beers can lager in the bottles, assuming that you can store them in a fridge. The only disadvantage is that, as they clear, the sediment will settle to the bottom of the bottle. They'll still be just as good and clear but you may have to be a little care pouring and leave a bit in the bottle. Be sure that you bring the filled bottles up to relatively warm temps for the duration of carbonation. I wouldn't skimp on the carbonation time and give a full 3 weeks just in case. The good thing is that the bottles will be starting to clear after carb fermentation ceases, even at warm temps, and even a couple of weeks in the fridge may yield sparkling clear beer. ;)

Back