RDWHAHB, but still...

Beer_Pirate

Premium Member
Reaction score
I brewed a blonde stout on Sunday, OG 1.072. I do no chill, so I let hang out in the fermentation chamber overnight to get to pitching temperatures. When I pitched the next day I was at my desired temp of 66 F for US-05. When I woke up this morning I realized the chamber had not been completely closed, and my little heating wrap couldn't keep up with the cool night air. The beer-in-process was sitting at about 54 F. I have since fixed the issue but wonder if anyone has experience with chico strains starting off at a very low temperature and what kind of stress flavors and attenuation I can expect from this beer.

It'll experience a little stress from the temp change but it's not a strain that reacts too badly. It'll happily ferment at below 60. If you can hold low 60's for the rest of the fermentation, it'll be great. ;)

It'll experience a little stress from the temp change but it's not a strain that reacts too badly. It'll happily ferment at below 60. If you can hold low 60's for the rest of the fermentation, it'll be great. ;)
I wish I'd thought about/known this before I set it to ramp back up to 66 today while I'm at work. It'll make beer though :rolleyes:

Well think some lager fermentations are set below selected ferment temperature and left to free rise up the ferment temp. I dont do this but supposedly keeps a clean fermentation profile. No harm done just a slow start.

Using one packet for a 1.072 OG may also contribute to a longer lag time but it will probably turn out fine.

I wish I'd thought about/known this before I set it to ramp back up to 66 today while I'm at work. It'll make beer though :rolleyes:
Fermentation at 66 is fine. I just assumed that you might have trouble holding temp so that's why I mentioned at least low 60s. If it holds at 66 wort temp, that's perfect and if it's 66 ambient, that's fine too because Chico yeast doesn't go too crazy and add a lot of heat. Anywhere from 60 to 68 will do nicely, though I have had some very peachy esters at 64 specifically. ;)

Keep us posted. Very curious on how this turns out. I wanted to do one of these a few months ago but never got around to it.

Fermentation at 66 is fine. I just assumed that you might have trouble holding temp so that's why I mentioned at least low 60s. If it holds at 66 wort temp, that's perfect and if it's 66 ambient, that's fine too because Chico yeast doesn't go too crazy and add a lot of heat. Anywhere from 60 to 68 will do nicely, though I have had some very peachy esters at 64 specifically. ;)
When I was using dry yeast I got a lot of peach from Safale-05, but only on 1st generation.
After that, the harvested preformed the same as 001.
I never got that from BRY-97
YMMV
Brian

Reactions: J A
I think this is either the 3rd or 4th beer with this yeast. Either way I had no visible signs of fermentation by 72 hours so I kicked the temperature up and tossed some Skare Kveik in there. Depending on the profile I get from that I'll either continue with the stout plan or dry hop the crap out of it and make some sort of NEIPA variant.

Back