Pulque

Joshua Peterson

Trial Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find any when i was in the Yucatan, it's being bottled in Mexico.... somewhere?

Anyone tried to just ferment cactus pads into some kinda milky fermented knock off Pulque?

Attachments

• 10617.jpg
    10617.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 186
  • pulque.jpg
    pulque.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 436
"stronger than beer" at 5.5% abv is marketing at its best.
according to wikipedia, it is a bacteria and not a yeast that does the work. would be interesting to try, but buggered if would wait 12 yrs for the plant to mature. no wonder beer became more popular ;-)

I know where some wild cactus is growing quite well. I might try to seep some into an IPA..... "Cactus Pad IPA" LOL

I know where some wild cactus is growing quite well. I might try to seep some into an IPA..... "Cactus Pad IPA" LOL
They sell cactus at most of our stores and I have a bunch of beavertail cactus growing in the yard. Might be interesting, but I think I'll wait for spruce tips.

If Prickly Pear "leaves" made a decent adult beverage, Texas would be the alcohol capitol of the world. :D :D :D

If Prickly Pear "leaves" made a decent adult beverage, Texas would be the alcohol capitol of the world. :D :D :D
Yep. I'll be heading to San Antonio in December - it's amazing how much of the stuff grows in the fields the sheep have overgrazed! Maybe even to Austin - I want some of the Blacklands undermodified malt for my attempt at doing an Urquell clone - malt needs to stand up to decoction!

Hit me up when you're in the area. It'd be fun to show you around a little and treat you to some beers. :)

Hit me up when you're in the area. It'd be fun to show you around a little and treat you to some beers. :)
It'll be an out-and-back from San Antonio, likely with the in-laws. But thanks and I'll keep it in mind, if you don't mind hanging out with an old fart....

Weyerman floor malted bohemian pilsner malt is under modified I'm sure?

local home brewer always orders entire 50lb bags of floor malted Bo Pils from our shop. He makes super tasty lagers with it, and I feel like I only hear him say he does a multiple step mash or a triple decoction.

I've seen some online suggestions that it is but as far as I can tell, not really.

Anyone tried to just ferment cactus pads into some kinda milky fermented knock off Pulque?

Pulque is fermented Agave Sap, so I think using cactus pads would result in a very different beverage.:)

From what I read, it's the yeast that's the costly part - samples were like $170. I can't find the reference at the moment though. But, I did find a recipe over at homebrewing.com that uses champagne yeast, but states it's a "far cry" from the real thing.

I also found a bottle of "Pulque Wine" for sale @ Total Wine, but the local store has none, and nearest available is 100mi away, so I won't be trying to harvest any yeast from that source any time soon.

Now then, on a slightly different tack, if anyone knows a good source for Prickly Pear Fruit, I'd be grateful.:)

don't use champagne yeast or wine yeast for beer, trust me I have, it tastes like where it came from so who would want a beer that tastes like grapes, I ruined a couple of batches trying that stuff

don't use champagne yeast or wine yeast for beer, trust me I have, it tastes like where it came from so who would want a beer that tastes like grapes, I ruined a couple of batches trying that stuff

Technically it's not for beer:

Basic Pulque Recipe
4 Gallons Spring Water or Filtered Water
8 1/2 Pounds Dark Agave Nectar
1/2 Ounce dried Coriander Seeds
1 pack Champagne Yeast

Back