hello just a quick question

moga

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm completely new and I haven't made any beer so far . so I bought a new equipment and a new pilsen beer kit.
I really WANT TO KNOW HOW TO CONTROL WITH %ABV SO ONE TIME I WANT IT %6 AND MAYBE NEXT TIME %8 . Can anybody tell me who affect the percentage of %ABV is it the yeast or the malt or both.
thanks >>>

I'm completely new and I haven't made any beer so far . so I bought a new equipment and a new pilsen beer kit.
I really WANT TO KNOW HOW TO CONTROL WITH %ABV SO ONE TIME I WANT IT %6 AND MAYBE NEXT TIME %8 . Can anybody tell me who affect the percentage of %ABV is it the yeast or the malt or both.
thanks >>>
Both the yeast convert available sugar in the wort into Alcohol. You want more alcohol add more sugar to primary. The right ballance is the key.
Pilsner probably isnt a great style to start out on. But if you do your homework on good sanitization practices and handle the yeast with appropriate care and ferment at stable temp as per yeast specks and give them a nice o2 saturated 5.2 ph ish environment to work in you'll have yourself a delightful yellow fizzy beer on your hands.
Great go to for first time homebrewers "how to brew" by John Palmer. And then theres the internet....:) good luck
Have you a recipie or kit you want to share?

More malt (or extract) more ABV. That's the simplest way of looking at it. Yeast will have a secondary role. If the sugar isn't there, the alcohol won't be, either.
Your Pilsen kit won't necessarily yield a fine example of a traditional style. They probably don't include a lager yeast or explain temperature control necessary to make a try lager. Just brew according to direction and keep things clean and you'll end up with a good first beer. Nearly every new brewer starts wanting to boost alcohol right away. It's a bad way to start because chasing ABV over flavor can lead to some poor choices in ingredients and process. Set your sights on brewing clean, flavorful beers that are really enjoyable to drink and do the research necessary to understand the basics and then the finer points of brewing.
Have fun. :)

thanks >>>
A quick question, sure, but a very slow answer.... I don't want to resort to a "read a book, lepton" answer but I may have to.... Simple answer is that both extract - the amount of fermentable sugar in your wort - and attenuation - the amount of sugar the yeast consume - are both factors in your ABV outcome. Let's assume you hold the fermentation constant, that is, your yeast attenuate the same percentage of sugars regardless of how concentrated they are (an oversimplification, but let's go with it) AND that your mash process is consistent, that is, your wort is equally fermentable every mash. Then, the amount of alcohol you get will be a direct result of the amount of malt you use in the mash. Or the amount of extract you use. Or the sum of that and any sugar you put into the wort.

As mentioned above, yeast matters, too. A more attenuative yeast will produce more alcohol, but it's a secondary effect. So a quick (and not completely accurate) answer to your quick question, control ABV with malt.

A quick question, sure, but a very slow answer.... I don't want to resort to a "read a book, lepton" answer but I may have to.... Simple answer is that both extract - the amount of fermentable sugar in your wort - and attenuation - the amount of sugar the yeast consume - are both factors in your ABV outcome. Let's assume you hold the fermentation constant, that is, your yeast attenuate the same percentage of sugars regardless of how concentrated they are (an oversimplification, but let's go with it) AND that your mash process is consistent, that is, your wort is equally fermentable every mash. Then, the amount of alcohol you get will be a direct result of the amount of malt you use in the mash. Or the amount of extract you use. Or the sum of that and any sugar you put into the wort.

As mentioned above, yeast matters, too. A more attenuative yeast will produce more alcohol, but it's a secondary effect. So a quick (and not completely accurate) answer to your quick question, control ABV with malt.
fair enough

As probably adressed, short answer is more sugar is higher ABV. Yeast factor in too but if you have an SG of 1.060 and finish at 1.010 you'll end up around 6.5%. Water it down to 1.050 and you get 5.25% roughly.

It's more art than science at our level Morty.

Back