Brew Year Resolution's?

Reaction score
I think this is my first post, and this is a tad early to think, but was wondering if anyone else is having thoughts on the upcoming year?

I'm planning to brew more and be more selfish with what I brew. A lot of beers I make are from requests by friends. So from January 2019 I'll be focusing on German and Bavarian style Lagers and ales. Around 90% will be in this style range, with the 10% being others.

My main goals:

December - Look at building a Blog for myself to document my journey into German styles
January - Brew a High ABV Stout for Christmas 2019. Partigyle brew a stout for February
February - Brew an Amber Czech lager and an Altbeir
March - Brew a Helles,Kolsch and Marzen. Finalise plans on my Brew shed and buy materials
April - Squeeze a Brew in somewhere and build my shed. This will be done over a weekend, but the internal rigging will take a few weeks.
May - Hopefully get inaugural brew in the shed, As i'm focusing on German styles I think a Pilsner for the warm month ahead
June - Start planning beers for an Oktoberfest, Build a bigger Kegerator hosting 4 taps and space to Lager. Brew another Kolsch and a Lager.
July -
August -
September -
October -
November -
December -

I still have a few months to plan, but I'd like to hear others plans. Just for fun.

All the best,

John

Just planning on remaining vertical for another year. As for brewing, I think I'll work on using the boatload of hops in my freezer. That may take more than 1 year though:) If I could just learn to pass up all of the really sweet deals ------------

That’s an ambitious list John. Like Bob, I just can’t stop buying hops. :D So I see a lot of IPAs in my future.:)

At the moment I have time to brew about once per month, in the coming year I hope to brew more often, and with the brewing I do I plan on perfecting my 6 house beers.

As above I think I'll be resisting previous good recipies and either replicating them or tweaking and tasting for difference.
I look to brew two brews a month.

Stick to my rotation. Keep a keg in the kegerator. Perfect my house ales. Try to get an imperial stout right for a seasonal bottled beer.

How about brewing some stayers long term brews anyone going to the wild side with Brett or peddio.

Build a new kegerator so that I can use my older one as a dedicated fermentation chamber instead of doing the swapping mess that I am right now.

It is nice to have 2 dedicated appliances. Had a fermentation fridge for a couple of years before I started kegging, at which time I just built a Keezer. Thankfully, never had to do the swapping thing.

Build a new kegerator so that I can use my older one as a dedicated fermentation chamber instead of doing the swapping mess that I am right now.

Just about to get a kegerator so that I can use it as a fermentation fridge to get enough beer to stock the kegerator for new years eve as the current fridge is only big enough for a single batch. I wonder if after new years eve I'll be able to stop myself getting into that same swapping mess.

I brew many different styles every year so Would like to stick with just a few house favorites, maybe a Porter, a Pale Ale, a Amber, a Brown, a few IPA's, a couple of Wheats, oops almost forgot Saison, a Stout, oh and of course an Oktoberfest. Oh well, never was good at new years resolutions. Helles, Cream Ale....

Things I will do in the new year:

1. Brew Pilsner/Lagers with both dry and liquid yeast ---> anything from light, pale, hoppy lagers, to amber, Vienna, dark Lagers and Baltic Porters ( which are originally lagers )
2. I will brew some test batches with belgian dry yeast and will blend those, in order to see if it's possible to achieve a decent belgian yeast profile.
3. Brew more Farmhouse ales with both Belgian and Norwegian yeast + blending yeast + adding fruit and spices
4. Brew more weizen style beers like hefeweizens, weizenbocks, etc.
5. Simplifying the recipes and the purpose of the beer.

Come the new year I will have two taps and a drip tray on the side of my fridge. Currently using a picnic tap inside the fridge

February - Brew an Amber Czech lager and an Altbeir
5. Simplifying the recipes and the purpose of the beer.

Being of eastern European extraction and having learned not to long ago that my Mom's immigrant father used to brew up some kind of "rot gut" back in the '40's, my goal for 2019 is to dive deeper into the historical recipes on both sides of the pond. Garrison, keep us up on the progress of the Amber Czech....ever hear of U Fleků dark lager?

Hoping to have back to back brew days over the holidays

I can't brew until parts come in, burnt a twist lock the last brewday, and thats a good point, inspect your connections every so often, things can build up slowly and one day blow and almost ruin brew day

2018 saw a few additions and changes to my BIAB brewing routine. A 10 gallon kettle and propane burner meant i could brew outside and do full boils. Also meant i couldn't easily sparge, so had to adjust a bit there and do a "true" BIAB mash.
I also ventured into brewing lagers (2 so far) and adjusting water chemistry. I also think i got a better handle on fermentation temps with a fridge, temp controller, and a recently added thermowell.

In 2019, I hope to brew a few styles that lean heavily into water additions so I can better understand that stuff. I also want to tighten up my process a bit (hitting and holding mash temps, water losses, etc.). I've never been too worried on that side of things, but with the new setup things are a little bit off now.

Lastly, and I say this all the time, but I want to get better at taking notes and such. Truth be told, I haven't used the brew session / log feature in years, and I'd like to get back into it.

Back