Tin Foil Hat time??

Ward Chillington

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of using the Old Farmer's Almanac best days calendar for brewing? Better yet..has anyone ever tried it and had better results? The science behind it has to do with moon phases and from the calendar on their sites, it covers everything from dieting to when it's best to pour concrete!

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/calendar/best-days/

https://www.almanac.com/bestdays/timetable

For me, I put a lot trust in the old timers as they seemed to know what they were doing for what they knew ...especially if you can discount that whole little yeast thing and the Reinheitsgebot ….ah what's a good way to put it? Omission? Mis-understanding? Lack of Microscopes? Anyway, the way I see it; at the least, it couldn't hurt but what do you folks think? Should we be looking at November 26th as a great day to brew or a great day for Jeff Bezos? Cyber Monday reference there...

It's not a weekend so that puts me out!

The 25th is a Sunday and also listed as a good day to brew. I'll put it on my calendar. :)

Not specifically for brewing, but I have used it as a guide for planting different things in the veggie garden. Really saw no difference in following the recommendations and planting when I felt like it. Come to think of it, I have never seen a werewolf when the moon was full either.

The 25th is a Sunday and also listed as a good day to brew. I'll put it on my calendar. :)
Yeah! I heard that the yeast works better on Sundays!

I put a lot trust in the old timers as they seemed to know what they were doing for what they knew
During the 1800's the scientific process was applied to just about everything, and a ton of correlations were drawn between seemingly unrelated factors. The actual science wasn't fully understood, so none of it could be explained and much of it was simply coincidence or effects of the test methods.

During the 1800's the scientific process was applied to just about everything, and a ton of correlations were drawn between seemingly unrelated factors. The actual science wasn't fully understood, so none of it could be explained and much of it was simply coincidence or effects of the test methods.
Statistically, correlation simply means two variables are moving in the same direction. Unrelated things can be correlated, think the infamous stock market and skirt length correlation, without being related. I imagine about a hundred years from now, people will be talking about the cute things we believed in, how ignorant we were, and that we were relying on indicators like GDP to predict a nation's wealth.

a hundred years from now, people will be talking about the cute things we believed in
Which is why I'm amused whenever people scream SCIENCE!! as if it's a conclusive argument. Science is constantly proving itself wrong. That's the whole purpose of research.

Which is why I'm amused whenever people scream SCIENCE!! as if it's a conclusive argument. Science is constantly proving itself wrong. That's the whole purpose of research.
That is the fundamental misunderstanding taught in our mostly sub-par public schools: Science is not the body of knowledge, it's the process by which we learn.

Anyone who screams science probably doesn't understand it. In addition to that anyone who talks about how the body of knowledge around a subject has changed, therefore science is wrong, is even stupider.

Science isn't about WHY. It's about WHY NOT. Why is so much of our science dangerous? Why not marry safe science if you love it so much.

Wow..that was a can of worms!

Let the scienceing begin!

Jan 1, 27 and 28
Feb 23 thru 25
Mar 23 and 24
Apr 19 and 20
May 17 and 18
Jun 13 and 14
Jul 10 and 11
Aug 6 thru 8
Sep 3, 4 and 30
Oct 1, 28 and 29