What the heck is this?

Brewer #106557

Trial Member
Reaction score
Morning lads n lasses!

I'm building a batch of blackberry peach cider, fermented out nicely. Og 1.055, finished out at 1.001.

Bottled it a few days ago with 5ml of sugar/12oz and now its building a layer of white scummy stuff on top of the liquid. I've made a few batches of fruit and berry ciders but until this batch never used fruit fresh from the field, coincidently (maybe..) I've never had a cider do this. I did hammer it with with Camden tablets and the fermentation appeared to have been text book. What gives?

Is it dead? Does it have the plague? Should we have a seance to contact the spirits of the deceased fruits and berries?

I'm trying to upload a picture but my lack of tech savvy is prohibiting me. Will figure it out.

Thanks bunches

Russ

Scum.

Attachments

• 20181027_113111.jpg
    20181027_113111.jpg
    703.2 KB · Views: 150
Gandalf: [pointing to a tunnel] There!

Merry: He remembered!

Gandalf: No, but the air doesn't smell so foul here. If in doubt, Meriadoc, always follow your nose.
Unfortunately I can't double like this. Thank goodness Gandalf had a bit of pipeweed to ruminate over

I'd watch for bottle bombs. Maybe it's something like pectin but it sure looks like an infection to me. Might not taste bad at all, especially if it's a wild yeast or lacto.

Mini-pellicle? Try one as soon as you think they're carbed. If it's a little bit funky or sour you've got a mixed fermentation. May be awful, may be good, depending on the bugs and your tastes.

Thanks guys. I popped one for a smell test and it's pretty dang OK. Taste was very acceptable as well. I do believe it's some sort of wild yeast as it has a tinge of the frambois taste, but it may be just the black berries. Time will tell.

I am still considering the seance though.

Back